"Right." Animo placed a few pancakes on her plate, chewing slowly as she observed the rest of the Great Hall. Last night, she had been so bombarded with nerves, she hadn't taken true stock of the students. "What do you think of her?" She nodded towards Cilla, the Head Girl, who was happily chattering to a group of first years while her sister, Celene, stabbed at her placemat.

Just as the words left her mouth, Avril Zabini swooped in next to Alphard, taking the seat beside him coolly. "Priscilla is a daft dandelion and Celene is tolerable, but still a Puff."

"A Dandelion?" Animo repeated, staring at the younger Slytherin, who had begun to spoon an assortment of fruits into a bowl.

Avril shrugged, as though the assumption were common. "Flighty? Useless?"

From her left, Alphard let out a rude snort, inciting a glare from his friend. "What?" he held up his hands in defense. "I think you're just immune to happiness."

There was a slight pause as Avril stabbed the end of her strawberry with her knife, letting the juice spray onto Alphard's plate before she took a bite, baring her canines. "That's what I mean," she pursed her lips, which had turned a darker pink with the berry, "I feel like I shoved a Pygmy Puff down my throat every time she tries to say hello."

Animo burst into laughter, her shoulders shaking as she leaned forward, glancing between the two fourth-years in amusement. Avril eyed her with a skeptical brow raised, as though Animo were some sort of unidentifiable species.

"It really wasn't that funny."

"Sorry," Animo chortled, wiping the side of her cheek with her finger to rub away the stray tear. "Where I'm from, jokes are few and far between." She winced at the memory of Albus's dry humor. It was a miracle Harry had stuck by him all those years.

Avril placed a grape into her mouth, although more daintily this time. Animo snuck a look back towards the center of the table.

Sure enough, Tom had arrived and had sat down before his cronies. Lestrange and Rosier occupied the space on either side of Abraxas. The Slytherin's curls were tamed to perfection in a side swoop that just hung over his brow, illuminating his cheekbone beneath his pale skin.

"Oh, not you too," Alphard grumbled, shoving down a few pieces of parchment that were sticking up from his satchel. "I've had enough of Riddle's bloody fan club."

"She's not actually interested in him."

Animo looked up in surprise to see Avril scanning her carefully, her amber gaze immediately pulling away upon contact. "You're staring at him as though he's some sort of riddle and not something to eat."

Shifting beside her impatiently, Alphard drew their attention with a smug smile. "That's because he is a Riddle, Zabini. You know? Cause—"

"We get it," Animo and Avril chorused together, Animo's tone being a bit more amused. She exchanged another look with the Slytherin girl, who still seemed rather uneasy.

"Well, I best get to class," Animo stood, pushing a handful of crumbs from the front of her robes. "I've got double Transfiguration with the Gryffindors."

Alphard's face twisted with sympathy as he motioned for her to follow him, Avril tailing close behind. Animo had noticed that although the girl maintained a detached persona, she and Alphard were rarely apart. "You'll have Dumbledore, then. Blasted codger is always giving out points to his own house. You'll be lucky to scrap a handful by the end of term."

A slight smile teased Animo's lips as she adjusted her textbook beneath her arm, enjoying being a part of the mass of students on their way to first period. She didn't mind the occasional jab of an elbow or muttered apology. She was finally free. "I think I can handle it."