Saying Goodbye

Prompt: Eleanor and Louis saying goodbye at the airport :’( Really fluffly, maybe some Payzer and Zerrie too! :)

They were past check in, through security and were now waiting outside the gate that would lead through to customs and onto the plane. There was exactly 46 minutes left until Louis would be on a plane. Less than 46 minutes until Eleanor would have to say goodbye. Less than 46 minutes until they were separated for who knows how long.

She clutched his shirt, curled up onto his chest as they sat on the sofa, just waiting. Louis was drawing soft circles on Eleanor’s side, not saying anything, just sitting together, breathing together and trying so hard not to cry in front of the cameras that they knew were hiding around the airport.

“Lou, El, might want to start saying goodbye guys,” Paul said softly. “It’ll take us at least half an hour to get through customs.. I’m sorry.”

Eleanor’s clutch on his shirt suddenly got tighter, and the circles on her sides stopped. Their breathing was uneven and not in time anymore. Eleanor felt her body tense up and Louis lifted her, urging her to stand up. His hands rested on her lower back, hugging her tightly as Eleanor buried her head in his neck, finally letting out the soft sobs she’d kept to herself for the last few days in anticipation to this moment.

“I’m sorry,” she said looking up at him. “I promised I wouldn’t cry.”

Louis forced a smile. “It’s okay babe,” he whispered. He wiped her tears with the pads of his thumbs before pulling her back into his arms. He smoothed her hair down, kissing the top of her head.

“I love you El, so so so much,” Louis whispered, his voice cracking as he looked into her red, watery eyes.

“I love you too, Lou. More than you can imagine,” she whispered back, before bursting into tears again and hugging him as tightly as she could. “I’m going to miss you so much.”

Louis pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head. “Promise me we’ll get through.”

Eleanor said nothing, she just clung to Louis, trying to even out her breathing.

“El,” Louis said worried. “Please just promise me we’ll get through. Together. Tell me we’re strong enough.”

Eleanor stayed silent and Louis' heart dropped to the pit of his stomach. She loosened her grip on him and pulled away enough to look through her tears and into his eyes.

“Of course we’ll make it through baby,” she breathed. “You know there is no one more special to me than you.”

Louis breathed again, smiling properly this time. He took her face in his hands and pressed his lips to hers. She responded quickly, letting him slip his tongue past her lips. Her hands remained at the back of his neck, holding him close to her, never wanting to let him go, while Louis’ arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her tight.

“Air,” Eleanor breathed. “The world’s biggest cockblock.”

Louis laughed and pressed his lips to hers once, twice, three times more.

“Ahh, but I think that title belongs to big man over there,” he said, pointing to where Paul was now headed toward them, no doubt to let them know that they needed to be off.

“2 minutes guys,” he said. “I’m really sorry El. We’ll have you out as soon as possible love.”

Eleanor smiled and nodded at Paul before turning back to Louis for the last time.

“Behave, be nice to Paul, don’t be mean to fans and sing well, baby, I know you can do it,” Eleanor commanded. “You’re excited about this remember? You worked so hard to get to this point, don’t waste it all just because you miss me. I’ll be out to see you soon babe. We’ve done this before, we can do it again.”

Louis felt a little better after Eleanor told him this. She was right, he was ecstatic about the tour, it’s just that when it came to goodbyes, missing his loved ones seemed to cloud over all of that.

Nodding, Louis leaned down to kiss his girlfriend one last time.

“I love you more than you could ever imagine Eleanor Jane,” he whispered into her lips.

She kissed him again before replying, “and I love you just as much Lou. Don’t you ever forget it.”

“Sorry guys, really is time to go now,” Paul called.

The tears welled up again in Eleanor’s eyes as she looked at Louis one last time.

“Have fun superstar, I’ll see you soon, promise,” she said as he crushed her into a hug.

“Bye baby,” he whispered, determined not to let Eleanor see him cry. “I love you.”

One last soft kiss to her lips and Eleanor was standing behind the gate, watching Louis collapse into Harry’s arms as she collapsed into Danielle and Perrie’s. He turned around to her and blew her a teary kiss. She caught it and put it to her chest.

I love you she mouthed to him.

I love you more he mouthed back, before disappearing down a corridor.

Eleanor turned to Danielle, whose curly hair was in a mess of a bun at the top of her head, her brown eyes still wet with tears, and hugged her tight.

“I know it’s different this time babe,” she said. “But you two can get through anything now.”

Perrie was clutching her phone, waiting desperately for a message from Zayn to say he loved her. And when her screen lit up with a notification, her already red and puffy eyes welled up again. The three girls collapsed together onto the sofa, trying desperately to gain their composure before they had to walk back out the doors without their other halves and face the wall of teenagers waiting for a glimpse of them.

“You can do it Perrie,” Danielle encouraged. “I’ve never seen a couple so in love as you two. You’ll pull through. And hey, at least you’ve got a date to countdown to until you can see him next. Just look forward to that yeah?”

Perrie nodded, hugging the two girls before they all wiped their eyes and stood up, ready to face the rest of the day. 

Eleanor's phone lit up in her hand, Miss you already baby. Don't worry, I'll have fun. As soon as your exams are over I'll fly you out. No questions asked. You and me Eleanor, we can do it. I love you so much. 

She smiled, took a deep breath and followed the girls out the door of Heathrow Airport. It was going to be long couple of months, but they'd been apart before right? It just made the reunion so much more exciting. 

No questions asked baby, I'm on the first flight. Go be a superstar, I'll be here waiting for you. I love you with all my heart Lou xx