Nerd

"She's stressed. The tears have fallen, the blame has been pointed. The yelling has been yelled and the screaming has been screamed. No, she hasn't had a fight with Louis. She's had a fight with her Sociology assignment that has definitely set out to kill her. Her hands are covered in highlighter ink and it's 2'oclock in the morning. Why can't she just have her boyfriend to sit with her and tell her it's going to be okay and she'll get it finished and she'll get a pass? No, he just had to go to LA the weekend before it was due."

Nerd 

She sat in middle of her bedroom floor, highlighter ink all over her hands and papers spread out in a circle around her. Her laptop shining brightly on her lap, but her eyes dark and tired. It was 2am on Friday morning and her assignment was now officially due today. 

“Ugh,” she groaned, looking at word count in the bottom corner of her screen. “Only another 900 words to go…”

Her Sociology report was going to be the death of her, she was sure of it. Normally, she had her assignments done and dusted at least 24 hours prior to it needing to be handed in, however this time she left it to the last minute because she was sure it only had to be 2000 words. However when she checked the task outline when she came home from a wonderful weekend in London, she discovered she was 1000 words short. 

Granted, the weekend had been lovely, Friday night date-night with Louis before he had to jet off to LA on Saturday morning, then the rest of Saturday afternoon accompanying Danielle to a photoshoot before hitting the clubs that night. And then of course spending most of Sunday morning nursing a very sore head before heading out to the shops for a little ‘we’re-going-to-miss-our-boyfriends’ retail therapy with Danielle. 

So she didn’t exactly ‘regret’ the time she neglected her study, but she was beginning to get in that mood where she was just exhausted it was everyone else’s fault that she had not completed her assignment. 

“Dammit Louis, you just had to leave the weekend before I needed to finish the one piece of assesment that is worth 70% of my mark,” she groaned to herself. “Danielle why did you make me go out that night!? I should have come home, I needed to study! Ugh!”

She ran her fingers through her messy hair and moved her laptop from her lap to the carpet beside her. Maybe a cup of tea would make her feel better. She got up from the floor and turned to the door, then screamed when she saw the figure in the doorway. It took her a second, but she soon realised the figure was not a mass murder, nor the boy from upstairs who seemed to have had a creepy crush on her since she moved on campus, but instead was her boyfriend of just over a year, Louis. 

“Lou you gave me a heart attack!” She cried, finally calming her racing heart. “What are you doing here?! You’re not supposed to land until tomorrow, I’m supposed to come get you from the airport when I get this stupid assignment handed in. IF I ever get it done.”

Louis stepped inside her room and pulled her toward him, his hands on her waist. 

“I lied,” he smirked. “I got back this morning. Well, yesterday morning, considering it’s 2am. I thought you’d be sleeping, I was going to wait until you woke up and surprise you.”

She smiled, frustrated that he’d lied, but so glad he was here and she was in his arms. 

“But,” his face got serious. “You seemed to have reached the point where you’re so desperate for sleep but you keep telling yourself you need to have this finished before you can relax. And since I’ve tried to get you out of mindset before, albiet unsuccessfully, I’m going to try again. Eleanor, you’re a wonderfully smart girl and if you go to sleep now, I promise I’ll wake you at 8am and you can have a clear fresh mind and finish this in the morning. It’s not due until 4pm babe.”