chapter 16 - family complications

Alex POV

Zach and I headed down the stairs into the pack kitchen and started making food. As we prepared the food I mind-linked one of the pack members to pick up Rei and Katherin from school. I know they were worried about their brother since they hadn't seen him since yesterday but hopefully, everything can be explained and will be okay.

Since yesterday I had a pack member look after Rei and Katherin because their brother was a bit... distracted. After the food was eaten I decided to think of a way to talk to Zach about 1) Moving into my place now that we were mated. 2) About quitting his 'job'. 3) how some of his old pack members are Rogue and going to probably die. 4) why do our systems have no information on him or any of his family.

Zach and I had settled on the couch for a bit and I noticed it was almost time for Rei and Katherin to be home. "Zach, can we talk for a bit?" I asked and his attention snapped towards me. He gave a slight nod to continue. "I was wondering since we've met if you'll be done with your job?" Without any hesitation, he nodded which made me smile. "Does that mean you'll let me provide for you and your siblings?" I asked.

"No. Just because we're mates doesn't mean I'm going to push all my problems onto you."

"You're not pushing your problems onto me. I'm willing to take them from you. You're my mate and I want to help you. Is that such a bad thing?" I said as the movie ended so I turned the TV off.

"no, it's just I don't want to be a burden on you or your pack."

"Zach, you would never be burned on me or my pack. Is it okay if I ask why you chose to sell your body for money? There are other ways of making money isn't there?" I asked as Zach started to fidget with his fingers.

"I need a way to make money fast. my sibling and I had nothing so I couldn't just slowly get money and start saving it. I needed it quickly and in big amounts. I would do anything for my siblings so that's what I did." he sat quietly for a moment before continuing. "it's the same reason I wouldn't tell them my birthday. not only so they couldn't spend money on me but also because that day is really sad for them. every morning on that day Rei wakes up crying and I'm sure Kat cries as well. I already know it's my fault our parents left, So I don't want my siblings to hate me by letting them find out." he said with small tears in his eyes that have yet to slip from his eyes.

The front door of the pack house suddenly burst open with an angry teary-eyed Katherin and a teary-eyed Rei. uh oh. This did not look good for us. Well, this should be fun.

"Zach, what does he mean you sold your body for money?" Katherin yelled

"Zachy does this mean your birthday is on March 1st?" Rei asked as he peeked out from behind his sister.

"You shouldn't have eased dropped the conversation. It wasn't for you know so why would you listen in on this?" Zach asked as he stood up from the couch. I stood up after him as he and his siblings talked.

"Why would you sell your body? You knew you would have a mate so why would you do that. you could have asked me to help you make money. We might be kids but there is a way for us to make money. So why didn't you at least tell me?" Kathrein asked as she moved closer to Zach.

"I didn't tell you because it wasn't your business. you're the kid, I'm the adult. I'm supposed to take care of you guys. I didn't want you guys to worry about me or that you guys would have to go without eating or toys or makeup. or anything else you guys wanted." Zach said running out of breath towards the end. "I wanted you guys to actually enjoy your life more than I did."

"What do you mean more than you did?" Katherin asked. Now I was more curious.

"What do you think of our parents?" Zach suddenly asked as he shifted from foot to foot.

"I think they were great parents and I don't understand why they left but I know they were amazing people who cared for their family and their pack. Why do you ask?" Katherin said.

"Yes, they were amazing and that's all you need to know about them. I'm not going to destroy your idea of our parents." Zach said as he turned around to walk away. Katherin grabbed him by the arm and whipped him back to face her.

"You don't get to do that anymore Zach. You can't keep telling us that everything is fine. So why don't you just tell us what's really going on? You're our brother, you can't keep hiding things from us." Katherin said as she released his shoulder waiting for him to answer.

"What do you want me to say huh Kat? What that I'm only half your brother. Just like me, our mother was a massive slut that got pregnant by some man who was already married and even knew she was pregnant and didn't care. What? When mom finally found her mate he said he would accept me but decided to beat me every day of my life because I wasn't his child. Or what? that mom knew I was being beaten and simply didn't care because I wasn't as important as you and Rei.

"Or would you like me to tell you our parents wanted to leave with you guys because I was too much of a problem for them to take care of but because I refused to be separated from you guys, Our parents decided to dump us and our entire pack on my 16 birthday because I couldn't be away from you guys? That it's my fault you and Rei don't get to be with our mom and your dad and it's my fault that you guys had to live with only what I could provide for you." Zach yelled out as he started to have tears leak from his eyes and down his face "Is that what you wanted me to tell you?" Zach said before turning around and rushing out of the front door.

I looked at both Kat and Rei as they had shocked faces. There was some guilt swelling in their eyes along with some sadness. I told one of my pack members to give them a room to calm down and then I rushed out the front door to where Zach may have gone. I hope he's okay.