Chapter 28.

The next morning, Emily was shaken awake. It took her a moment to come into reality; she thought that the shaking was only coming from her dream. But then she opened her eyes. Her vision blurry from sleep, she rubbed them in attempt to wake herself up. She lowered her hands from her eyes, and as her vision slowly came into focus, she realized two figures were standing right next to her. One was sitting on the edge of her bed, his hands in his lips, fiddling with his fingers. Despite her still slightly blurry vision, Emily almost immediately recognized the fluffy strawberry blonde hair of Newt.
Her dream from the day before came flooding back to her like a tidal wave, and she had to fight back the sudden urge to wrap her arms around his neck, bury her face into his chest and apologize.
She would apologize- but not with Minho standing right next to them.
"Are you deaf or something?" The Runner's voice brought her out of her daze. Emily realized that she had been staring at Newt, and felt her cheeks heat up in a bright shade of red as she noticed that he was staring right back at her. His lips had curled into a small, barely noticeable smirk, and a single eyebrow was raised. Though he had a look in his eyes- one that told Emily that he wasn't sure how she was feeling about him at the moment. He almost seemed nervous.
"Sorry," she shook her head frantically before she could fall into yet another daze. "I'm tired and I did not sleep well last night."
Emily? Are you awake? Can you hear me?
Emily groaned as the all too familiar feminine voice echoed through her mind. She only just woke up, and Teresa was already trying to communicate with her. She knew she would never escape the girl and her crazy, odd telepathic powers.
Yes, I can hear you.
Emily tried to sound as annoyed as possible- if that were even possible whilst speaking telepathically.
"I swear, you seem out of it today. Are you okay?" Minho said, though she barely heard him. She opened her mouth to say something, to apologize for what seemed like the tenth time since she woke up, but was cut off as Teresa's voice spoke once more.
You should get out here, Emily. Something happened- I did something. They all know I have something to do with it, and they are starting to scare me. I didn't mean to do it, I do not even know how I did. Please, just get out here and try to calm them down.
For the first time, Emily realized that there were a bunch of voices coming from outside. To a normal person, they would probably sound like soft murmurs, but to her, they were screams, as if they were right beside her. What did you do?
I triggered the Ending, she said. I triggered the Ending, and now the sun has disappeared.
"Emily!"
Emily jumped as Newt's voice rang through her ears, sounding like a freight train blowing its whistle right by her head. She covered her ears, closed her eyes as she felt the beginning of a pounding head ache forming in the back of her skull.
"What's wrong?" Newt's voice was softer this time, and she felt his hand slowly slip into hers. She flinched at the sudden contact, though she didn't pull away. She slowly opened her eyes, only to see two pairs of brown eyes staring at her, full of concern and confusion.
"Sorry," Emily said; she used her free hand to run it through her hair.
"Are you alright, love?" Newt asked. He leaned closer, his dark brown eyes burning into her green ones.
"I'm fine," she said quickly, though her eyes darted towards the single window in the room. She wanted to go outside, to see if what Teresa said was true. It was light out, so surely the sun was still there. "What time is it?"
"The Doors opened about an hour ago," Minho said. "So I'd say around eight o'clock."
"Why are you not out in the Maze?"
The Runner crossed his arms, rolled his eyes as if Emily had just announced she wanted to spend another night out in the Maze. "Because something happened. If you'd get your lazy shuck ass out of bed, you'd find out what."
Oh, trust me, I already know, she said to herself, though she didn't dare say it out loud. Emily slowly stood up from the bed, careful not to loose her balance like she did almost every other morning. Newt stood up quickly next to her, and she saw him glance at her out of the corner of his eye. She wished that she had not acted the way she did the day before, and she longed for her and Newt to have at least a little privacy so that she could explain and apologize. She just hoped he would forgive her after she acted so childish and pathetic.
"Well, show me what happened," Emily said. Whether what Teresa said was true or not, she did not know. For all she knew, something totally different could have happened, and Teresa could have been lying the whole time. Though it was something in the girl's tone of voice that made her believe it was true- if it were even possible to have a tone whilst speaking to someone through her mind.
Emily followed Minho out of the room, Newt trailing close behind them. As she passed him on the way out, the blonde boy opened his mouth as if he were about to say something. Emily stopped, looked at him and waited for him to speak, but he only shot her a small, toothless smile.
Exhaustion tugged at her feet, her muscles ached with fatigue, and yet she had no idea why. As far as she knew, she slept soundly through the night. An undisturbed, dreamless sleep- something she has not had in a long time.
As the three of them exited the lopsided building, the voices became louder for Emily. A group of boys crowded around a tree not too far away from the Homestead, one in which Teresa was sitting under. The girl cowered on the ground, her bright blue eyes staring up at the boys around her.
But that wasn't what interested her- she couldn't care less about what was being said between the group of boys and Teresa. Emily looked up, checking to see if what Teresa said was true.
The sky was a dull slab a gray, not the usual natural pale light of early morning. It looked like a giant rock was shoved down on top of the Glade walls to block out the sky above them.
Emily stumbled a bit as she craned her neck to look around her, steadied herself as Newt's arm slowly and hesitantly wrapped around her waist.
The Glade hung in a weak, lifeless light. As if a thick gray storm cloud covered the sun from shining its light down on them- only worse. No blue, no black, no stars, no moon, no orange and purple tinted sky of early dawn. Just gray. Colorless and dead.
There was only one thing that Emily could think of. Teresa's ominous voice echoed through her head, sending shivers up her spine.
The sun has disappeared.
As Emily watched the commotion of the boys crowded around Teresa, she didn't feel as frightened as she thought she should feel. Thomas joined them moments later, his eyebrows furrowed as he stared
up at the gray slab that replaced the sky.
"It's like the bloody sun disappeared from the shuck sky," Newt spoke her thoughts, his voice laced with the same confusion she felt.
She knew that they were all being completely ridiculous. The sun couldn't of disappeared- that was not possible. Though that was what it seemed like. There were no signs of the giant, glowing ball of furious fire, the normal light blue sky absent. But Emily knew that it wasn't possible for their only source of light to just suddenly disappear. There had to be some logical, scientific explanation behind what they were currently witnessing. And whatever it was, she knew that the Creators had something to do with it. How they did it and why they did it, she did not know.
"What do you think happened?" Chuck's voice brought her out of her daze. The boy's tone had a pitiful, shaky rumor to it, his eyes glued to the sky. "The sun couldn't of disappeared over night, could it?"
"I don't know," Emily said in all honestly. She wasn't going to admit it out loud, but the whole thought scared her. What if the sun really did disappeared, and what if it never came back?
"Looks like a big gray ceiling, if you ask me," Chuck folded his arms and looked around him. "So close you can almost touch it."
Emily followed Chuck's gaze and looked up. The kid did have a point, the sky did look like a ceiling; artificial. Like the ceiling of a massive room.
"Makes me wonder about this place," she said quietly.
"Maybe something's broken," said Thomas. "I mean, maybe it will come back."
Chuck looked down and made eye contact with Thomas, "Broken? What do you mean by broken?"
Emily didn't hear whether Thomas answered or not. The faint sound of Teresa's voice echoed through her mind, the faint memory of what she said that morning.
I just triggered the Ending.
It couldn't just be a coincidence. A sour feeling crept into her belly, one that made her feel sick. What if Teresa really did have something to do with the sun's disappearance? Whether the sun was real or not, whether Teresa had something to do with it or not, it was gone now. And that could not be a good thing.
"Emily?"
Emily snapped out of her daze as Newt's soft voice spoke in her ear. She turned to look at him; he was staring at her uncertainly, as if he weren't sure what to say.
"Are you alright, love?"
"Yeah," she said. "I'm fine, Newt." She reached over and grabbed his hand, entwining their fingers. Newt flinched and, for a moment, she expected him to pull away. But he didn't, and she felt relieved.
"Emily?" Chuck turned to look at her with wide, scared eyes. "What's going on?"
Emily reached out with her free hand and rubbed the young boy's shoulder, "I have no idea, Chuck. Not a shuck clue. But I'm sure we'll figure it all out."
A sick feeling was creeping through her veins, one that made her feel uneasy. She was trying to convince herself as much as Chuck.
"Thomas!" Emily turned to see Minho running up to them. She hadn't even noticed that the Runner had left their side. "Quit your leisure time with these lazy slintheads and let's get going. We are already late."
Emily stared at the Keeper in a stunned silence. After the events of the morning, she had expected all normal plans to disappear in thin air.
"You're still going out there?" Chuck spoke her thoughts, clearly surprised as well.
"Of course we are, shank," Minho retorted. He looked from Chuck to Emily and then to Thomas. "If anything, it gives us even more reason to get our butts out there. If the sun is really gone, it's only a matter of time before plants and animals drop dead, too. I think the desperation level just went up a notch or two."
His last statement struck Emily like a bolt of lightning. What he said was true. With the sun gone, there would be no way the animals and plants would much longer.
"You mean we are going to stay out there overnight? Explore the walls a little more closely?" Thomas asked, his words laced with excitement.
"Not yet, no." Minho shook his head. He looked up towards the sky, then down at his watch. "Man, what a way to wake up. Come on, let's go."
Emily watched in silence as the two Runners ran off in the direction of the Kitchen, whispering quietly amongst themselves. Beside her, Chuck sighed and shifted on the balls of his feet.
"I guess I'd better going..." The kid sounded reluctant as he began to trudge towards the Homestead. Newt reached and gripped the boy by his shirt, gently pulling him back.
"Take the day off, Chuck. It's not like we're going to be doing anythin'," he said. "Go get you a nice breakfast and relax."
Chuck glanced back and smiled, his light eyes twinkling in the dim light, "Thanks, Newt."
"That was nice of you," Emily commented as she watched Chuck make his way towards the Kitchen.
"The kids deserves a break from the shuck job he does," Newt said with a shrug. Though out of the corner of her eye, she saw the corners of his lips curl into a smile. The smile sent a wave of warmth through her, and she found herself resting her head against his chest.
Emily? I need to tell you something.
Emily gritted her teeth as the familiar, obnoxious voice of Teresa spoke in her mind. Couldn't the girl leave her alone, or at least talk to her in person?
If you want me to listen, speak to me like a normal human, she said back.
Within seconds, Teresa was making her way over to them. Her raven colored hair blew in the light breeze, her blue eyes shining even in the dim light. She looked troubled, shaken up, and it only made Emily wonder what she had to tell her this time.
"Emily, you have to listen to me when I say this. You have to listen, and you have to believe me." Her voice sounded foreign, strange to Emily. She couldn't remember the last time she spoke to the girl in person.
"What is it, Teresa?" She asked slowly. She felt Newt's fist clench at her waist; she knew that he obviously didn't trust the girl. Emily didn't exactly trust Teresa either, but she still felt bad for her. It must have been hard to not be trusted by anyone that you had to live with.
"Something bad is about to happen. Something terrible, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it." Teresa spoke in a low voice, one that sent shivers down Emily's spine. "Death is coming. No matter how hard you try to change that, there is not way. It's going to happen. It's going to happen to you, Emily. You-"
"Wait a minute," Newt cut her off quickly. He shook his head, his eyebrows ceased together. "What are you saying? Are you telling her that she's going to bloody die?"
Teresa stared at him for a moment before locking her gaze with Emily, "I'm only telling her what I was told to tell her. Whatever happens-" she paused, most likely for dramatic effect. "You have to trust them."
"Them?" Emily repeated. "Who is them?"
"Them," Teresa pointed to the gray sky. "The Creators. WICKED."
Newt laughed, though there was no humor behind it. Only disgust. "This is ridiculous. Don't listen to the shank, Em."
Emily sucked in a deep, shaky breath. She opened her mouth to speak, but Teresa beat her to it.
"She has to believe me. It's going to happen either way. If you don't believe me, he will make you."
"He?" Emily's legs were shaking; she was barely able to stand, having to lean on to Newt for support.
"Him," Teresa nodded once. "You know who I'm talking about, Emily. The man-"
"Okay, that's enough. I mean it, if you say one more bloody word to her, I throw you off the Cliff myself," Newt interrupted her, his voice shaking with rage. He turned to Emily, his gaze softening. "You're shaking like a leaf, princess. It's okay, don't listen to her." He pulled her closer to him, wrapped his arms around her small waist as she buried her head in his chest.
She heard Teresa groan, "She has to believe me-"
"No, you have to get the hell away from her," Newt retorted before she could finish. "I'm serious. You have three seconds to get away from her."
There was a moment of silence before Emily heard the crunching of grass as Teresa walked away from them. She let out a shaky breath, and slowly wrapped her arms around Newt's torso.
"Thank you."
"Anything for you, princess." His chest vibrated against her cheek as he spoke; the feeling sent a wave of comforting through her. Though the comfort was replaced by fear as Teresa's ominous voice rang through her mind once more.
You have to believe me, Emily. Death is coming, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

+

I have a feeling my writing is getting really bad :( idk what it is but I'm becoming really worried.
Can you guys please give me feedback on my writing? It'd mean a lot so I can know what I have to improve on and whatnot.