Chapter 28 : Selling My Soul to the Devil

Comenzar desde el principio

Medea keeps staring at me, her purple eyes glowing slightly in the dim light. She's probably considering what to do with me right now. Worst, she might kill me. I'm terrified of this on the inside, frozen in fear but also in anger. I want to cry or flee from this place, but where would I go? I can teleport, but I never know where to go. Except for my real world, I have no destination.

After summoning every of my ancestor's last breaths, I get back on my feet and walk to my bed, brushing my hand on the wound on my neck.

Silence feels too loud, crashing on me again, while her amethyst eyes demand silently over my explanation. Finally, having no choice, I submerge myself in the world of reason, telling the truth to the Duchess.

"The magician is right. I come from another world--"

That's when I told her everything that had happened since I was in an accident and woke up in Natalie's body. I have a sneak peek at how the novel describes this world. Medea is still standing there, listening to my explanation. I also tell her about the novel's ending, in which she avenges herself as the first Empress of the Angelos Empire.

"Finally, after the revolts, Duchess Natalie, Lord Apollo, and Prince Ares are executed in front of the people of the Empire. To avoid that outcome, I ask that you practise swordsmanship and be an ally to me," I complete my explanation, as my voice coated with shakiness and fear.

I know it's a lot to bear for Medea, who sits on the chair opposite the bed. I feel sorry for her simply because she is a character in the novel world, only to discover that this world is being constructed for the author's benefit. I'm not sure why, but I sympathise with her situation, but I'm also at a loss for what to do.

"Are you alright?" I inquire of Medea, feeling surprised by my own impulsive question.

She is still silent, possibly processing my explanation. I've learned everything there is to know about her. She must be feeling vulnerable about it. But then, why should I be concerned about her? I'm also in trouble because I want to escape this world. The woman in front of me is attempting to murder me right now.

"So you're saying Natalie is currently missing, and you've taken over her body? That everything in this world is nothing more than a world described in a book you read about in your world?"

Medea keeps asking me questions. That is something I completely understand. I was the same way the first time.

"Yes," I respond with a single word, unsure what to do.

"I'm sorry," I can't believe it when I say it so abruptly due to so much impulse in me tonight.

Medea raises her head and gazes at me with her amethyst eyes widened, but her lips curl inwards, frowning. My sudden confession has also perplexed her.

"Why are you sorry when it's not your fault?" she said in a sarcastic tone, still linking the magician's explanation and fully aware that it is not within my intention to land in this world.

At the time, I was unaware that tears were streaming down my cheeks. I am usually strong, and this situation should be simple, but I am completely exhausted from both worlds. I despise feeling weak in front of strangers, especially when it involves exposing my vulnerable side.

"I don't know, but it's exhausting," I sobbed in front of the Duchess, wiping my tears away.

"Ah, I am a fool," I chuckle at this ridiculous situation, leaning my head backwards to regain myself, allowing Medea time to think about anything she wants.

A thought pierced my mind, allowing me to speak for another time, "Shall we make an agreement about this?"

The Duchess raises one of her eyebrows at me, letting out a provocative smirk, "What could a mere person like you give me?"