Snapped! - Chapter 3

Yay! Chapter three finally! Sorry I haven't been able to post for a while, I am just a bit busy with the Easter Holiday's and all that.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Kate drove and drove into the evening, but the awkward silence between her and Jennifer was becoming longer and longer. "Hey, Kate, seriously, something wrong?" Kate glanced at Jennifer who was looking at her wide eyed.

"No, nothing." Kate turned her eyes back on the road.

"Spill it out. I know you, like the back of my hand Kate." Kate sighed.

"I forgot I was supposed to meet up with Chris this afternoon, and he texted me. He seemed a little angry. But it's okay. I'll sort it out later, let's just get to this place first."

"Okay." Jennifer sat with both her hands entwined together on her lap. "You don't have to go with me. See him." 

"Look Jen, stop being so stupid, and let's just go. We're here now." Kate let out a deep breath and kept on driving. It was rare that Jennifer and Kate were angry at each other, and even when they were, it was over silly things like who brought the latest miu miu dress first.

They arrived finally at the restaurant 'La Nourriture', that menat 'the food' in French. It wasn't exactly and A-List restaurant, but had earned 5 gold stars and other food awards. "It looks nice Jen, right?"

"Yeah, it's known for having amazing food." 

The prices were high, but you payed for the experience of dining in such a nice place. Inside, there were deep velvet curtains draping off the tall windows. It was a cross between classy and elegant meets sleek and modern. The wooden tables had carved patterns in them which were painted gold, and there was a light with crystals running down it, which were so long that it touched the glass fountain on the ground floor. Upstairs was the same, but there was a spiralling staircase with glass steps, and a glass lift for convenience. 

Kate and Jennifer took their seats at a table next to the tall windows. "Kate, I seriously think you should go see Chris, or at least call him." Jennifer said, looking worried.

"Jen, this is between me and Chris. Calm down, I'll sort it out when we get back. Okay? Now let's order." Jennifer opened the menu, and nodded her head. "The mussel soup is to die for." Jennifer said, exaggerating on the die. "Let's get that then." Kate replied, smiling, trying to look calm. 

***

The air was cool, as Kate and Jennifer stepped outside. "Wanna get some dessert?" Jennifer asked. "Nah, I'm on a diet." Kate replied. "Let's go to the car Jen." 

Once they were in the car, the awkward silence started again. But Jennifer was once again the one to break it. "Look, drop me off outside my house, and you can sort things out with Chris." Jennifer demanded. "Fine. Whatever Jen." 

There was a sense of anger in her tone. "Don't thank me then for the meal." 

"Thanks Jen. I appreciate it. Even though it was the wrong time and all, I-" She was cut short by Jennifer who abruptly interrupted her. "Wrong time? Hey I didn't know about this. So don't blame me Kate. Your the one who forgot!" Jennifer slumped back in her chair, and stared out the window. 

"I'm sorry. Here's your house." Rushing to get to the house, Jennifer ran to the front door, and unlocked it quickly. Without a goodbye, she went inside. "Ungrateful bitch." Kate whispered under her breath.

***

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

Three knocks, and still no sign of the door opening from Chris. Suddenly, the door opened, to reveal a rather distressed Chris. His open t-shirt hung limply from him. His jeans were ragged, and his hair was dishevelled, and greasy. Not a match for Kate, he looked like a beggar standing next to her. Chris looked at Kate from head to toe, before settling his eyes on her face. "Look Chris, I'm sorry about today, but I feel guilty right. And I just wanna say that I was really tired from the interview." Chris stared at her once more, before speaking. "Look Kate, I just wanna say that I hope you get the job, because I lost mine. Your fully aware of that. No further matter. Leave today, and put it behind you." Kate looked at Chris in surprise, then sighed a sigh of relief.

"Any chance of me coming in then?" Chris gestured for her to come in. Chris' apartment was not chic, sleek, clean or anything like Kate's. In fact, it was the complete opposite, with CD's everywhere of grunge bands, and posters of heavy metal groups. The kitchen was a disaster waiting to happen, with food everywhere and pizza boxes sprawled across the table like a table cover. "Ummm...Chris, you gotta clean this place out." Kate looked from side to side at the mess in his apartment.

"Yeah, sure thing honey." Kate didn't sound convinced, but nonetheless, she carried on looking around the apartment, since she hadn't been there in a long time. "Okay, so what do you wanna do Chris?" Kate asked, her voice croaking at the end of the sentence. 

Chris waited a while before finally sighing, then answering. "Let's just look through my sister's holiday photo's."

"How about something more fun Chris." Kate suggested. "Like a movie."

"I assure you that this will be fun. You know my sister, crazy." Chris sat down down on the sofa and got the pictures ready, whilst Kate sighed, and slumped down on the armchair next to him.

Chris and Kate had met when they were both in high school at the age of 16. Chris was a jock and footballer, and was muscly, had tanned skin, deep brown eyes and gorgeous dark brown hair. His abs always stood out from his t-shirt. Now move onto when he was 25, he had a pot belly, dishevelled greasy hair, and was lazy. However, Kate had still managed to stay with him 9 years later. They weren't married, just boyfriend and girlfriend. But Kate thought that he lacked his charm that he had when they were both 16.

Sitting on the armchair, Kate was bored looking through Chris' sister holiday pictures. They were crazy and mad, with his sister, whose name was Doreene, trying to juggle, trying to do acrobats and other crazy eccentric things like that.

"Look, Chris honey, I gotta go. The pictures...were cool." Kate gave a fake smile, then headed to the door. "Not so fast." Chris gave her a peck on the cheek, then opened the door for Kate.

"Bye." Kate said, before making a run for it to the outside main door. As she got in her car, she saw that  Chris was out of sight. She sighed a sigh of relief, because Chris had let her go. Tomorrow would be the day she would find out about whether she got her new job or not. She needed it.