Part 2, Chapter 1: Welcome Home

-----------------------------------6 months later--------------------------------------

"Katie! You got mail!" Mom yelled.

I ran down the stairs and grabbed the letter from my mom and ran back upstairs. I jumped on my bed and opened the letter envelope. It was from Steve.

The letter read: Dear Katlyn. It has been 185 days since you left. Every second I get even more impatient for you to come and visit. I just have to wait a few more hours and I'll see you again. I hope you don't mind if your birthday present is a little late. I want to give it to you in person. Happy late birthday by the way. I know that I'm almost a month late but I promise that I didn't forget! I've just been busy with work. How has work been by the way? Have you filmed any new movies yet? I should probably save the questions for when you get here. I'll see you soon. Love, Steve.

I smiled as I read it.

"Katlyn!" Jonathan yelled from his room.

"What!" I yelled back.

"Shouldn't you be packing to go back to Hawkins instead of swooning over Steve?!" Jonathan asked, while yelling.

"I am not swooning!" I yelled.

"Oh, you so are!" Jonathan yelled back.

"Am not!" I yelled.

"I'm not arguing like this with you right now! Get packed or I'm not giving you a ride to the airport today!" Jonathan yelled back.

"Alright! Alright! Okay! Jesus Christ!" I yelled.

I jumped from my bed and packed my suitcase and put the letter that Steve gave to me the day we left in the suitcase. I grabbed a bunch of clothes and put them in it and then put my walkie-talkie in it. I also put my Walkman in it. Jonathan already left to go drop Eleven and William off at school. Eleven was doing... okay at school. Her grades are doing okay but she is being bullied by a group of kids. They remind me of the kids that made fun of me in Hawkins. I try to tell her to ignore them but it isn't that simple for her. I finished packing and zipped my suitcase up then set it in the living room.

"Oh! Katie, here, take some breakfast!" Mom said as she handed me a waffle.

I smiled as I ate it and watched TV. Jonathan got home and opened the door.

"Katlyn let's go!" He yelled.

"Okay, okay! Jeez!" I yelled back as I finished eating and grabbed my suitcase and followed him out to his friend, Argyle's, car.

Argyle drove us to the airport super fast. I held onto the bottom of the chair tightly so that I wouldn't fly around the car. Once we got to the airport, I grabbed my suitcase and I got out of the car.

"Hey Kate!" Jonathan said.

"What?" I sighed.

"Love you, sis." He said.

"Love you too." I smiled and walked into the airport.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the plane landed, I got off and got my suitcase and then went to Nancy's house because her mom said that I could stay in the basement while I was there. I knocked on the door and Mrs. Wheeler opened the door.

"Oh, hey Katlyn! It's great to see you! I just finished getting your bed on the couch downstairs ready." She said.

"Thank you Mrs. Wheeler." I said.

She took me downstairs to where I'll be sleeping and then left for work. I set my stuff down and then left to go to Family Video, the new place that Steve and Robin are working at now. I looked at how nothing had changed, once again. Many people waved at me as I walked. When I got to Family Video, Steve and Robin were talking while they were stocking shelves.

"I'm hopeless." Robin said as she leaned against the wall.

"Eh. We both are." Steve said as he leaned against the wall next to her.

Robin noticed me. "Oh, my god, Katlyn it's you!"

She ran over to me and hugged me. 

"Hey Robin, it's been a while!" I said.

"Yeah it has." Robin said.

Steve walked over to me and gave me a really tight hug. "I missed you."

"I missed you too Steve." I said.

"So, how's California been?" Robin asked.

"It's been pretty boring since I've been in my room most of the time and when I'm not in my room I'm either at work or having pity arguments with Jonathan, but hey, that's how sibling relationships work... I think." I said. "Anyway, enough about me. How have you guys been?"

"We're doing good!" Robin said as she went around the counter and turned the TV on.

There was a news reporter on the screen.

"We're in the Forest Hills trailer park in east Roane County. We don't have a lot of details right now, but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High student was discovered early this morning. Police have not released the name..." The news reporter said. "although we are told they're currently in process of notifying the family."

"Holy shit." Steve said.