Chapter 3: Arrivals and Departures

Start from the beginning

To return his kindness, I shared my life with the man. He was a good listener, when he didn't fall asleep while I was pouring my heart in in front of him. Talking to him felt relatively safe, though his connection with the navy made me a bit uneasy, that's why I had to "polish" some of the facts, including my name. When he had asked, I said that my surname was Saphir. Why? I don't know, it was the first thing that came to mind. It has a nice ring to it, though.

A snap of fingers draws me out of my reverie.

"Hey, girl, where did you go?" he says, irritation in his voice.

"Oh, excuse me, were you talking to me?"

"Bring me a bottle of whiskey", he commands. There is already an empty bottle on the table, but I know better than to comment.

"And I'm craving some cheese, what do you say?"

The mention of "cheese" perked me up, as he knew it would happen. With a nod, I head for the pantry at a brisk pace. God, how I love cheese.

As I'm coming back to the table, I catch the ring of a den den mushi. I don't know what possesses me, but I stop before entering the room, curiosity leading me to put my ear to the door. There was no need for me to hide; whatever secret Eulogie hides is none of my business, but this is the first time anyone has called him in all the time I've been here.

An unfamiliar voice greets Eulogie, and by the tone of my mentor's voice, they seem to be friends.

"Have you been tracking the news lately?" the man on the line innocently inquires.

"No. What's the point in reading the news, if the government censors the best parts?" Eulogie retorts, chuckling.

His laughter makes me laugh too, but I muffle the sound with my hand. He was lying, though. There's a desk cluttered with all the bounties and newspapers he religiously collects every Monday.

I can hear the other man sighing. "There has been a situation. CP9 was defeated," he paused for a second, shame tainting his voice, "...by pirates."

A laud snort overcomes Eulogie, who is almost yelling at the poor snail, "Ha! I told you that group was the worst! Especially the boss, Spadex-something." Eulogie keeps guffawing which makes it impossible to hear what the other man says.

When Eulogies' enthusiasm wanes, I manage to hear: "... I need you back."

"I'll be there in three days," is my mentor's reply.

So, this was the call. I stay in place for some time, letting the information sink.

"You can come out now."

Damn it.

"It's rude to spy on your elders, you know," he says, with light-hearted grin.

I shrugged, "If it helps, I didn't understand a thing".

Eulogie nods as he entertains himself slicing the cheese and giving me a piece.

"Are you leaving, then?" I ask.

He nods again, "I probably won't be back."

Although I wouldn't classify us as friends, the news of his departure tugged a small hole in my heart. I had grown comfortable with his presence.

"Thank you, for everything, Eulogie," I say, putting all the heartfelt gratitude I felt into my words.

"Eat your cheese."

A chuckle escaped my lips as I reach for the plate. He would die before opening up, I guess.

-----

"I am telling you; this island is not where the log marks."

"We are going!" a black-haired boy with a straw hat clasped on his back points to the horizon, where a small green dot is barely visible, "To the island of meat!"

"Luffy," the redheaded woman gives a resigned sigh, "Alright". Turning to the others, she shouts, "Listen up: We are changing the course!"

The other members of the crew, who had been scattered across the Sunny, minding their own businesses, start running around at the tune of Nami's orders.

When the ship arrives in the harbour, half of the crew members launch ashore in the direction of the city. Those who remain on the ship watch their friends depart with a disapproving frown. Luffy is already far away, getting lost behind the stone houses. Chopper and Ussop follow him. Still in the harbour, Nami prepares to circle the island from the east, accompanied by Sanji, who has his hands full with her heavy cartography equipment.

"We shouldn't stay in this island for long, the log may change its direction if it saves this island location," Nami tells the blond cook, both heading towards the beach.

The rough, gravelly voice interrupts whatever Sanji was about to say, "Oh, rest assured, that won't happen, beautiful lady." The owner of the voice comes out from behind one of the posts that structure the harbour, "This island doesn't appear in any log, it has no magnetic pull."

The two straw hats turn towards him, a bit startled by the sudden new presence.

The man with a tattoo of a crane and three six's in his upper arm continues, "You can stay for as long as you want!"

"Oh, well, thank you!" the girl sweetly says.

She then glances sideways at Sanji and beckons for them to walk on. The same voice is heard as they walk past. "I hope you enjoy the island, gorgeous! I can show it to you if you like!"

"What a strange guy, I don't trust him" the girl whispers to Sanji.

"He seemed odd," he agrees, "But, in any case..."

With eyes shaped as hearts Sanji claims "Don't fret, I will protect you Nami-chan!".

As Sanji rubs the bump Nami gifted him, he sees the green-haired man heading towards the forest.

"Where do you think you are going, Moss head?"

"For a walk," Zoro responds.

"You are going to get lost, marimo. Stay on the Sunny."

"Don't tell me what to do, you idiot. Do you want to fight?" his weapons already drawn as he says this.

"Whatever, but we are leaving in a week, with or without you".

"Sure," the swordman says.

Zoro then turns his back on the cook and continues his way.

"Let's go Sanji!" A feminine voice out of the cook's field of vision commands.

Forgetting the conversation with his not-so-friendly fellow straw hat, Sanji runs to reach the navigator.

-----

"Again, this river? Who is been moving it? I could swear I've just passed this place."

The green haired man had been going in circles for a while now, and several hours have gone by since he last saw the cook. Alone, but overconfident in his sense of location, Zoro keeps his cool as he walks another circle in the depths of the forest. Above him, heavy grey clouds are making labyrinthine patterns in the sky, hinting to those in the know about the weather that tonight, being outdoors could very well mean their doom.