TWENTY SIX ; KNOW ME

¤¤¤

¤¤¤

Magauna was awoken in the early hours of the morning, when the sun was beginning to rise above the horizon. The sound of distinct chatter nearby is what caused her to crack open her sharp eyes and sit up to look around groggily. She realize where she was at first, but after a look around at the crumbling building she was in, she immediately remembered she was in Dale. She also remembered that there was a war coming soon.

It was Gandalf who found the Half-Elf attempting to push her way through the bustling crowds of Elves and men preparing for their march on Erebor.

"Where's Bilbo? Is he awake yet?" Magauna asked immediately, as Gandalf ushered her out of the chaos .

The Wizard looked down at Magauna, his expression turning solemn - more solemn than usual. Magauna immediately knew something was wrong.

"Gandalf." She said, staring up at him with a clenched jaw of worry. "Where's Bilbo?"

Gandalf let out a sigh, almost too quiet to be audible. "The Halfling left in the middle of the night. I assume he's gone back to Erebor."

Magauna's face paled. She shook her head slightly. "No...that wasn't the plan." She said. "He was supposed to stay here, with me. He was..." She sighed, closed her eyes, and put a hand on her forehead. "Dilthen flinos." She sighed again. "He is going to get himself killed."

(Little fool.)

Watching the two armies getting ready for their departure from Dale was nerve wracking for Magauna. And even after they all left, and it was just her and the old Wizard left standing together in the ruined city, the Half-Elf's hands involuntarily shook slightly, and she found herself using them to grip her sword's hilt tightly, as if it was going to offer her a type of comfort.

She tried to stay calm, she really did, but the image of the Company laying dead in the snow refused to get out of her head. Gandalf sensed her worry, but he could do nothing to comfort her, as he feared the exact same thing.

Then with a great, shakey inhale of breath, Magauna shook her head and started to walk away from Gandalf.

"Magauna, where on Earth are you going?" Gandalf said, standing up swiftly to follow her into the ruined building that was temporarily being used as a stable.

After quickly choosing a stead, Magauna swung herself up onto the horse's back, not bothering to attach a saddle. Now taller than him, Magauna looked down at Gandalf.

"To save my friends." She said simply, before turning away and whipping her horse's reins.

Gandalf watched as she sped out of the stable with a dejected expression. He admired Magauna's bravery, and most of all her loyalty to her friends, but he strongly feared there was nothing that could be done to shake the fate of them all.