T H I R T Y S I X

Start from the beginning

She shrugs, like it's not big deal. She has no idea that Robert talking to them before was news to me.

"Not like gossiping, we just asked him about you, because we wanted to be friends," She assures me.

I begin carefully wrapping the plates individually in newspaper, and placing them into another box.

"Who's we?" I ask her, knowing the answer already.

Natalia's eyes shift around, avoiding mine.

"A lot of us," She answers, unconvincingly.

"Joe," I say, not even asking.

Of course it's Joe. Everything begins, and ends with him.

"I guess, his interest piqued our interest," Natalia admits.

I shake my head slowly, as the realisation hits me.

"Everything I do, everyone I know, it's all connected to him," I think out loud.

Natalia's hand rests on my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

"Are you okay?" She asks me.

I turn to her, and smile.

"I'm fine. I've just been thinking about it all too much I think," I say with a laugh, brushing off her concern.

Charlie walks into the room then, and eyes the finished box sitting on the bench.

"This one ready to go?" He asks, glancing between Natalia and I.

I give a small nod.

"Yeah, sorry babe. I got distracted," Natalia says to him.

Charlie just gives her a smirk, and a little shake of the head, then leaves.

"I like the way you do that," I say to Natalia as she begins to walk away.

She stops and looks at me, confusion spreading on her face.

"Do what?" She asks.

"Communicate, without really talking," I say.

Natalia laughs, shaking her head a little and looking down.

"What?" I ask.

"I've just seen you do it with people too," She says, walking out of the room.

I turn back to the plates, wrapping up the last ones, and looking out the window. Who was she talking about? Joe? Multiple people? I don't know why, but it bothered me. I shake my head, and sigh.

"Wish I could bring that tree with me," I hear Robert say over my shoulder.

I turn my head to him, and smirk.

"Really?" I say, mischievously.

Roberts eyebrows furrow together as he looks at me.

"Charlee Jensen, what have you done?" He asks me suspiciously.

"Nothing," I sing, an obvious smile plastered on my face.

Robert shakes his head, and picks up the box that I had just put the last plate inside.

"Come on, we've got to get this stuff there quickly before Maya has a heart attack. I'm pretty sure she double dosed her coffee again today," Robert tells me.

I shake my head at Mayas antics. I love her exactly as she is, but I wished she'd be more careful. I can't imagine life without her now that she's in mine, and Roberts.

I follow Robert to his truck, glancing at the house. No one else is in there now. We split into two groups, packing Robert and Mayas houses, and now Roberts was empty.