four

It had been a few weeks of Eddie teaching me how to play guitar and occasionally hanging out. We were growing really close and I was having a great time. Eddie was a really sweet guy, but he was also just funny.

     I stood outside of Eddie's house, a cigarette in my hand while the man himself stood next to me, his hands shoved into his pockets, "How's school?" I asked him, my eyes moving to the side of his face as I took a puff off my smoke.

     Eddie looked at me and knitted his brows together, "You sound like a mother." He stated before letting a small smile fall upon his lips, "It's alright, doing my best."

     I nodded and held my hand out to him, letting him take the smoke, "I can help you out if you need it." I said and then smirked a bit, "In case you don't remember, I was valedictorian for our...I mean, MY graduating class."

     Eddie stared at me, his eyes playfully narrowed as he simply shook his head, "How dare you rub it in my face, Buckley?" He asked, almost faking as though he was heartbroken.

     "How dare I not?" I ask in return.

     It had been nice getting to know someone new.

     I reached out, leaving one hand on my steering wheel as I turned the radio up, hearing a news announcement coming through, "We're in the Forest Hills trailer park in east Roane County. We don't have a lot of details now, but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High Student was discovered early this morning." The reporter spoke, causing my eyes to widen and my heart to race. That was where Eddie lived, "Police have not yet released the victims name although we are told they're currently in the process of notifying the family."

     I gripped the steering wheel, my chest tight. I had to see Robin.

     I got to Family Video almost ten minutes later, faster than it usually took me. I parked my car quickly and jumped out, running into the store, "Did you hear?" I immediately asked, causing Robin and Steve to look at me.

     "About the murder? Yeah." Steve said and nodded, his hands on his hip where he stood behind the counter, "It's being talked about everywhere. I mean, every channel has it going."

     I nodded and walked closer, placing my hands on the counter, "Forest Hills...The trailer park is where Eddie lives..." I said, immediately getting a sympathetic look from Robin.

     "Have you heard from him today?" She asked me, reaching over the counter to gently touch my arm, trying to be as comforting as possible in a moment like this.

     I shook my head and ran my hands through my hair, attempting to calm myself down, "No...no, but I was supposed to meet up with him later."

     "Okay well, just don't worry about anything until you have to, I"m sure he'll show up." Robin spoke softly.

     Our conversation was interrupted when Max and Dustin walked through the front door, looking as though they were on a mission.

     "Hey, Steve," Dustin began, both him and Max walking up next to me, "How many phones do you have?"

     Steve looked at the two of them and shook his head slightly, "Someone was murdered."

     "How many phones do you have?" Dustin said again, his voice louder and more aggressive.

     I watched the interaction occur, staying silent, "Two, why?" Steve responded, looking to Robin and I.

     "Technically three, if you count Keith's in the back." Robin spoke up, looking to the kids.