Chapter » 2

I heard him grunt and moan into my ear. So I knew what was happening. I knew what he was doing, but I was thankful he was using a condom. That was probably my lowest point. No, I'm positive it was. I was barely 18, and I was sleeping with my 32 year old boss, whom I call Tommy, for a little extra cash.

When he had bent me over the desk in his office, I realized how pathetic I had become, how disappointed I was in myself. This was just as bad as prostitution. And just because I wasn't walking the corner, doesn't mean it was anything less.

When he finished, he turned me around and kissed me in the mouth and then all over my chest and neck. He kissed me like he loved me. But I knew I was mistaken and that none of the people I slept with loved me. And they certainly wouldn't consider it if they knew the real reason I required them to use protection.

I pulled away from his kisses when I had enough and he started pushing at the top of my head and pressing me down, telling me to get down on my knees. I'd just realized then, that he was no longer wearing the condom so he must have taken it off while he was kissing me. "Go ahead. You know what to do."

I had voices in my head; voices telling me I was wrong and telling me I deserved better. But I did it anyway. I sank to my knees and I gave him what he wanted. I couldn't say no. So I knew then, that I needed to make changes. I needed to end it. But how? I didn't know.

→→→→→

Zayn started off as the guy who would come in the store all the time and grab a milk chocolate Hershey bar along with a can of fruit punch. He was the guy who always dressed in black jeans and in the occasional plaid shirt. He'd always have in earphones but he would never be listening to music. He came off as a little oblivious and nothing but trouble, especially when I saw him take off on his motorcycle. I had always told myself to never trust guys on a motorcycle. I don't know why, it was just a silly stereotype.

Anyway, he'd come in the store almost everyday and I started to realize that out of all the lanes in the store, he would always come in mine to pay. I got curious, so one day, I got bold enough to ask him. I couldn't believe what he said.

"Wow. You finally noticed? Gosh, I thought I was going to have to wear a sign that says 'notice me' or something."

I laughed because why not laugh at an extremely handsome guy with chocolate eyes?

"So what's your purpose for coming here all the time?" I asked.

"Isn't it obvious? To buy food. And also to get your attention as well, but I'm apparently failing miserably at that. Either that, or you are just terrible with customers."

I smiled. "Seeing that I have customers behind me who could possibly be listening to us, I'm going to say you failed miserably. How about that?"

"Oh sorry." he mumbled with a chuckle and he swiped his credit card, not even needing me to tell him the balance for his usual items. "What time do you get off today?"

"Four thirty."

He looked at his watch. "Oh, that's what... forty five minutes from now? I can wait."

"Wait for what?"

"Oh, you forgot? You were going to meet me outside the store so we could exchange numbers and what not."

I laughed again because he did that so smoothly, but after handing him his receipt and his bag, I gave him a serious look. "Alright. Whatever. I'll meet you out front after work. I don't know what your intentions are, but they better be good... or else."

"Don't worry. All good things, Harry. All good things." And he left me standing there, wondering how he knew my name. It took me forever to remember I was wearing a name tag.

*

*

*

When work was over, I met him outside where he was sitting in the grass and evidently, he'd been finished with his candy and his drink because the empty can sat in the grass with the candy wrapper stuffed halfway in it.

The conversation was so simple and in a short amount of time, which I figure was about thirty minutes, we learned a few things about each other. I told him about my sister and my mother, although I didn't particularly share that we weren't speaking and in turn, he told me about how he didn't communicate with his parents and family anymore. I also learned he was a 21 year old junior college student who was studying to major in Computer Engineering and Technology, but worked part time at a bar some nights. Hearing that he was a college student made me very interested in him since I longed to go myself. So when he suggested we go out some time, I didn't hesitate to say yes.

On our first date, it took him nearly an hour to get me to ride on the back of that motorcycle with him. But when I finally did, I understood why he loved it so much. And from then on, I always looked forward to our dates, so I could have a reason to hold on to him.

Zayn and I dated for 4 months when I came to the conclusion that I needed to stop sleeping with my boss behind his back. And honestly, the only reason I had even come to that conclusion, is that I finally understood what it was like to finally be in a relationship that lasted for more than a one night stand. That was the thought that got me to tell him I couldn't go on like that. I ended things with my boss and I stopped sleeping around period.

The real test, though, came when I had been dating Zayn nearly 6 months and we finally were about to take things further. I didn't want to get him caught up in something and I didn't want to lie to him either. So I told him the truth. I told him why we needed protection and what would happen if we didn't.

I expected him to go crazy on me for keeping something like that from him all that time. But he was so cooperative and caring and he explained that he was going to use a condom anyway, so I hadn't really messed anything up. It felt so good to hear those words, instead of him calling me a freak. I was overjoyed. I didn't know what to call what we had between us at that time, but whatever it was, that was definitely the best night of my life.

To make a long story short, Zayn and I found out we loved each other during his senior year. By then, he'd known about most of my other secrets too, which included me shutting out my mother and sister because they lied and I had known his secrets too. So since we both were basically ignoring our parents then, we realized we really only had each other. That's when he made me an offer I knew I couldn't refuse. He wanted me to marry him.

I was scared because I was only 19 and I had never thought about something as big as that. But I said yes because I loved him and he ended up taking me to the city courthouse where I was married to him with only two witnesses, being his two college friends Liam and Niall.

Mom didn't know we were married, only dating, and Zayn's parents didn't know we were either married or dating. We lived our own secret life and after living in separate places until he graduated(he, in his dorm room and me, at home with my mother), he finally swept me away from there and into a cozy little apartment located downtown with a river view. It wasn't cheap to live there, but it also wasn't as expensive as it looked. And we could afford it between us two, because I was still working at the grocery store and Zayn finally got to put his degree to use when he found a good paying job, that was looking for young new minds, about 20 minutes away from our home. He didn't need to work at the bar anymore and I was so relieved at that.

We had a nice little life. I was only 19 and he was 22 but this life was ours. Not even the look on my mother's face when she came home and saw Zayn, I and the movers packing up the moving truck, would deter me from living it to the full.

I just find it funny that I was worried about stumbling across her again and dealing with that kind of a bump in our road, when really, that was the last bump I should have been worried about.