Beers and Blushes

Start from the beginning

"You're such a freak," I wrinkled my nose, momentarily pausing to question whether he was right. "Hey, just trying to help a girl out."

"If you really wanted to help me out, you'd look for her," I pointed out. "What, you want me to go and check each bedroom in hopes of spotting her?" He phrased his question rhetorically, but in fact, that was exactly what I wanted him to do.

"Please. It's not like you'd be seeing anything you haven't seen before," I pointed out. "I haven't hooked up with your best friend! I wouldn't do that!" He exclaimed, eyes widening in horror. "No- yeah I know. I just meant, you know, you've seen boobs, and you've seen dicks, so it's, you know, nothing you haven't seen before," I clarified, slightly put out my his reaction.

"I'm not gay!" He responded- or rather yelled, looking even more horrified. "I didn't mean it like that!" I protested. "I just- you know, you have a dick, and you've seen boobs- Can you just help," I groaned helplessly.

"That's a very weird way of phrasing it," Alex pointed out, as he began walking towards the kitchen again. I followed, concluding that he was going to help me.

"I didn't know how else to do that. So where do we start?" I asked.

"Do you really want to walk in on your best friend possibly having sex?" Alex double checked, no longer having to strain his voice, since the kitchen was relatively much quieter. "No."

"And do you really want to stop her from having what might be the best night of her life?" He asked, as he opened the fridge, and got out a bottle of water.

"Well, when you put it like that-" I began.

"You don't. Just loosen up. Have a drink- I can drive you guys home." I shook my head obstinately. "I'm not making you do that. I don't even care much for alcohol," I shrugged. "You're a college student. There's no way you don't care much for alcohol."

"That's presumptuous."

"Okay, then let's dance or something- get your mind off wanting to go home," he suggested.

"You and me? Dance?" I shook my head.

"Why not?"

"Because- I don't know. We're from extremely different crowds. It'll be weird," I reasoned.

"This isn't high school, Hazel. Nobody's going to care," Alex rolled his eyes.

"Okay, but, I don't know. I don't really know how to dance. Like- what do you do," I muttered.

"I don't either. We can just copy everyone else. College is for new experiences!" He exclaimed, in a mocking tone. I grinned and stared at him for a moment, before relenting. I didn't have anything better to do anyway.

"Okay fine. As long as it isn't a slow song," I reasoned.

"Perfect!" He grabbed my hand and led me back into the room we had just come from. The sudden shift in volume of the music was a mild jump-scare.

"You know this song?" Alex yelled, as we walked towards the centre of the room, where everyone else was dancing- if you could call it that.

"No, you?"

"No idea. Great," he grinned. We'd managed to squeeze ourself onto the dance floor, but as I looked around, looking for someone to copy, I was simply met with people standing way to close to each other, making out, or practically grinding on one another. There were the odd few who were in groups, simply jumping and yelling, but that was it.

I turned to face Alex, a questioning look on my face, and he seemed to have realized the same thing. "You still sure you wanna copy everyone else?" I asked, attempting to be heard over the music.

"I'm down," he winked. I rolled my eyes, ignoring the heat creeping up my neck, and instead shook my head.

"You're so weird. This is so awkward. Is there nothing else to do?"

"I can think of plenty of things," Alex replied, the sexual innuendo clear in his tone. I lightly whacked him on his arm. "Are we just going to stand here doing nothing?"

"We could try this," Alex suggested, puckering his lips, and leaning close.

"You're such a fre-" I was cut off by a squeal, that sounding undeniably like my best friend.

"Of course you show up now," I exclaim, glaring at her.

"Did I interrupt something? I definitely interrupted something. Please- carry on," she rambled, her words slurring. God, she was drunk.

"You interrupted our almost first kiss." Alex let out an exaggerated sigh.

"Your almost what?" I turned around, to find myself face to face with Aaron. "Both of you have impeccable timing. Our almost nothing. We're going home," I said decidedly, ignoring the boyish grin that had spread across Alex's face.

"Fine by me. I expect to hear everything tomorrow," Aaron gave me a pointed look, as he walked past me, and grabbed Kate by the shoulders, before directing her to what I hoped was the front door- he had, after all, seemed relatively sober.

"Well, thanks a lot for that," I made a face. "Anytime," Alex grinned. "I should probably, you know, go. God knows what the two will get up to. Thanks for also, you know, I don't know, keeping me company, I guess. You didn't have to do that"

"Anytime, Woods," he repeated. "You're rambling now."

"Okay. Bye. Goodnight." I turned, without waiting for a response, and I could feel my face heat up, as I walked to where Kate and Aaron were standing.

"You're blushing," Kate drawled, a smirk evident on her face. "Or you're drunk," I retorted.

"You're blushing," Aaron confirmed.

"Let's go home."

OMG an update!
i'm so sorry for the long wait.. i would get so sick of me if i were u guys 😭😭