3

I had barely slept the entire night

I had barely slept the entire night. The moon had come and go, making way for the sun to paint the sky once again before there was a short knock at my door. Moriah let herself in a few steps and glanced over to my bed, a nervous smile on her face.

"Goodmorning Princess." She said, coming to my side and pulling the blankets down carefully. "Did you sleep okay?"

"Yes, thank you." I lied, standing with the small girl and heading towards the bathroom to get ready. She flicked the handle to run some hot water into the sink and handed me a towel to wash my face, looking at me nervously.

When I finally looked to the mirror, I saw why. My eyes were red and puffy, partially from the lack of sleep and partially from the tears I had let out into my pillow hours before.

"Are you alright?" Moriah asked, setting a gentle hand on my arm.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror as I continued wiping my face with the warm water. I knew what she was thinking, that the stress for the examination everyone was talking about was troubling me, the trauma of the past years coming back to me in nightmares. No one could know the real reason for my sleepless nights. The guilt eating away as I lied to everyone. As I lied to Thor, Odin, Frigga, who had been nothing but good to me since I first arrived at this castle. Thor sticking his neck out to shield me from horrors he felt were unjust, feuding with his own family for a girl who had preferred to live a live hidden in exile over marrying him.

"I'm fine Moriah." I assured her, my eyes looking slightly less puffy now. "What should I wear?"

"Something nice. The Queen is coming to get you, she'd like to have breakfast with you."

My stomach dropped again at the news. I would welcome time with Frigga with excitement, yet after last night I had more fears than I could count.

"I was thinking this one?" She pulled a pale purple gown down from it's hanger and held it out for me to look at. "Nice and simple."

I nodded and lead the way out of the closet so she could help me into the long dress. Once I was dressed and my hair and makeup done, Moriah held the door for me as I stepped out into the chilly hallway. I knew I should have waited for Frigga in my room, but I couldn't sit still, nerves spilling from my stomach into my limbs and forcing me to move.

"Ah, Elsie! I was just coming to meet you, dear." Frigga smiled warmly, pulling me into a hug.

"Sorry, your Highness, I thought I'd save you some steps." I smiled, hopefully matching her own.

"How thoughtful." She took my arm as we started towards the dining rooms.

"I wanted to tell you... I should have last night. I'm sorry for the dramatics. Thor didn't have to... we shouldn't have left like that. I'll take the exam whenever The Allfather would like-"

"Elsie, that issue has been dealt with. Odin is speaking to the council this morning and they will give a speech to the public later this week." She patted my arm as if the subject matter was closed. "You are to be their Queen. They should trust you, and treat you with respect. You have suffered a tragedy, a trauma, and come back from it stronger than you were."