twenty-eight

I kiss Steven's cheek as I plop down beside him on the couch, kicking my legs over his on the coffee table. If mom and Susannah knew we left the house, the two of them wouldn't leave me alone, worried that my sudden exposure to outside air and sunlight was going to kill me. Conrad and I drove home together, and Steven went home ahead of us to make sure our moms didn't catch on to me being out, which they hadn't.

"Have I ever told you you're the greatest brother ever?" I ask Steven, placing the ice that'd been put back in the freezer on my chest again.

"Not often enough." Steven teases me before lowering his voice to a whisper, "so, what happened with you guys? I'm embarrassed to admit, but I'm kind of invested."

"We're friends," I say to my brother, smiling. It was easier this way. With his mom being sick, I just want to be there for Conrad and be a good friend. Maybe one day down the road, we can try and if being more works, but for now, I'm happy just being best friends with Conrad Fisher.

Before Steven can reply, his phone chimes, "it's Shayla," He tells me, already typing back a response, "she wants to show me something before the volleyball tournament."

"Shit," I muttered, running my fingers through my hair. I completely forgot that was today. We were raising money for our charities today. Mine was education for girls in places where it isn't always accessible. I've been so excited about it, even if I suck at sports. "I totally forgot that was today."

"I think they'll understand that you can't do it," Steven reassures me, squeezing my knee before walking out of the living room, leaving me all alone.

I rack my brain, trying to figure out a way to fix this, something that'll help raise money for these girls, but not strain my injuries. Before I can think of something, Jeremiah and Isla walk into the house, laughing. "Hey, you," Isla greets me with a gentle smile, "We got you something."

She hands me a stuffed bear. Its fur is pink and soft, its nose shaped like a strawberry, "Because we missed you berry much," Jeremiah informs me, winking. When neither Isla nor I laugh at his terrible pun, he adds, "Berry, get it, cause the- "He sighs, running his hand through his hair, "forget about it."

I smile as Isla rubs his arm, mocking support, before plopping down beside me on the couch, "So, what are we going to do this afternoon while everyone's at Volleyball? I told your mom I'd stay back to hang with you."

It hits me then that Isla was supposed to be my partner despite her unathleticism, but maybe she could still play? Maybe I just needed to find her a partner to take my place... I look over at Jere, and I can't help but smirk at how perfect it'd be. He and Isla clearly like one another, so why not give them a gentle nudge, all while raising money for a good cause. "I was actually thinking... what if you still played? Jeremiah could take my place." Before she can argue, I add, "I really want to raise the money for this charity. It would mean a lot to me if you guys did this."

Isla knew how hyped I was over my charity pick, and despite wanting to make sure I was okay, she also cared about this charity just as much as I did, "are you sure?" Isla asks, hesitantly.

"Positive."

"Well, then, who's gonna take care of you?" Jeremiah asks. Despite his concern for me, I can see he's excited at the prospect of spending more time with my best friend.

Before I can answer his question, which I don't have an answer for, Conrad leans against the doorframe, "I can," He offers, his voice gentle and reassuring. He's showered since we got home, his hair wet and hanging over his forehead.

I wish I had a camera so I could capture Isla's eyes as they practically fall out of her head, shocked to see Conrad suddenly acting so cool around me. I know we're keeping the whole I left the house thing a secret, but I'll tell Isla later when everyone else goes to bed. Unlike Isla, who's so shocked she can't speak, Jeremiah nods at his brother, "cool, bro, thanks." He says, slapping his brother's shoulder lightly as he walks past, "is your volleyball shirt in your room, Flo? We need to leave soon."