Chapter 26

The former captain of the imperial army smirked as he heard the marquis' words.

"You talk like it's been years since we've seen each other when it's only been a few months."

"You should be flattered that I missed you so much, my old friend Hector."

"I am. I didn't say otherwise. But I wonder why you missed me."

"Well, let's just say that you and I have a lot in common, My Dear Friend."

"A lot in common ?" Hector asked, confused.

"Yes. And especially one point."

"Which is ?"

Dale leaned slightly towards him and looked him straight in the eyes while smiling mischievously.

"We are both traitors, My Dear Hector."

Arminel smiled back before waving at the man that was standing in the doorway.

"I can't say otherwise."

A few seconds later, the man entered with a small cart full of plates filled with delicious food. He set them up on the table after bringing the cutlery.

"I wish you an excellent dinner," he said before disappearing from the room.

Hector took the bottle of apple juice and poured some for the marquis.

"This is my favorite juice," he says.

"Sounds pretty good. You've always had good taste when it comes to drinks."

"Thank you."

"By the way, the whole dinner is admirable. It creates a huge contrast to where we are," Dale added wryly.

"I like this house."

"I wonder why. It's completely ruined. You just have to cough into it and it will crumble to pieces."

"It's abandoned. It's normal for it to be in such a state. But it's a good place for traitors like us to meet without being detected."

"To tell you the truth, if we analyze things well, we're not really traitors, Hector."

"Oh really ? What are we then?" asked the former captain with a sneer.

"We just rebelled because we didn't get what we really deserved."

Hector remained silent, looking at his interlocutor.

"We have been wronged, My Friend. Many people have been favored over us. We have not received the esteem we truly deserve," the Marquis continued.

"Are you talking about Duke Lobelia here ?"

"Who else ? He took everything that should have been mine. Just because he's the Emperor's best friend. You think that's fair ?"

It was Hector's turn to lean over to Dale and look him straight in the eye.

"We both know that that's not true, Dale. Don't lie to yourself, My Friend."

"W-What ?! What do you mean ?!"

"Duke Lobelia proved himself in the great war against Vuglonith. That's why he has the position he has now. He was always a very strong Imperial Knight since he was young."

"Imperial Knights..." Dale muttered with a sneer.

After a few seconds of silence, he spoke again.

"Why did you ask to see me tonight ?" he asked coldly.

"Don't get upset, My Friend. I only told the truth."

Dale said nothing and just kept looking at him angrily which made the former captain sigh heavily.