Chapter 44

Everyone was shocked at the words of the leader of the Grand Master's order. Arthur came back to his senses as he glared at her suspiciously.

"You really think I'm going to believe what you're saying? You? One of the leaders of our enemy's order, wants to join our side? You are so stupid to think that we're going to believe such a thing," he asked sarcastically.

"I have my own reasons for wanting to change sides, Your Majesty. I took a huge risk in betraying the Grand Master because I could end up just like Marquis Kalmiv at any moment," she replied looking at him straight in the eyes before getting up from the ground.

"Marquis Kalmiv? What happened to him?" wondered Angus.

"The Grand Master learned of his daughter's betrayal and believed that it was him who ordered her to send you information about their plans. He got rid of him in front of our eyes in an abominable way."

"But who informed him of Cecilia's betrayal?" Arthur asked with doubts.

"It's me," she replied in an indifferent tone.

This line made the eyes of those who were present in the room widen in shock.

"What did you say?! Why did you do that?! Didn't you just say you wanted to switch sides?! You just contradicted yourself right now, damn it!" exclaimed Edgar in astonishment.

"It was a plan I came up with a few days ago. I told Captain Arminel about it and I know he told you about it too. I wanted Dale Kalmiv to be got rid of without having to do it ourselves. And the plan worked perfectly," she explained coldly.

"I can't believe it! His daughter and her bodyguard who are completely innocent almost perished in the attack that your master ordered on their mansion! How could you not think of the consequences of your actions?!" Angus exclaimed angrily.

"Don't worry. I'm not that stupid. I calculated everything in the most detailed way. I had asked Captain Arminel to send a letter to Cecilia to inform her of the attack and ask her to come and take refuge here in the palace. That's why she came straight here with her bodyguard," she answered indifferently.

Everyone remained silent after hearing what the old lady told them. The situation was very weird.

"If this is not enough to prove my loyalty to you, Your Majesty, there's also something else. The headquarters of Jonaral and Dogadar's army are in the city of Veritas. This way, you can buy time and deal with them before they attack you first," she added.

With these words, the emperor heaved a long sigh before advancing towards her and looking her straight in the eyes with a menacing gaze.

"I will trust you and believe in your loyalty, for now... But if, at any moment, you think of betraying us, I swear to you that I will kill you with my own hands," he threatened with a glare.

"Believe me, Your Majesty, you won't regret trusting me."

"I hope so for you..." he added dryly.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

The next morning, Luana woke up early to get prepared for her long trip to Ingbert with Lucas. She got dressed in a black outfit with boots and a long cape of the same color.

She took the dagger that her father had given her earlier and hung it around her waist before taking out a small bag that contained her personal things and some supplies of medicine that she would need during the trip. Doctor Ondynol was the one who gave them to her.

She took her breakfast that Agnes had served her quickly before leaving her room to go to the courtyard of the palace to find the others.

Once there, she saw Lucas waiting for her with Leo and Lea and also saw her father accompanied by Angus, Edgar and Hastia.