Chapter Five

Seyi continued his work while Detective Okoye sat on one of the chairs, lost in thought. How would he know the last person to enter the admin block that night when the security cameras aren't even working?

   "Is there a way to access the footage from the time before the camera was damaged?" Okoye asked Seyi. The engineer nodded quickly and Okoye sat up.

   "Yes Sir. We can even access up until the wires were cut. The footage was already saved to the system so the damaged wires didn't affect those ones." Seyi replied, turning on the laptop on the table. After a few clicks, he carried the laptop to where Okoye sat. 

    Okoye quickly took it from his hands and pressed the play button. Twenty minutes before the CCTV cameras were messed with, a boy was captured entering the admin block. Five minutes later, a girl came into view, she looked at the camera and entered the admin block. The clip ran for more fifteen minutes before it ended.

    "Omo these children eh." Seyi said in surprise. Okoye turned his sharp gaze to the engineer and he backed out and returned to the wires he was replacing. The case was getting deeper.. there was a possibility that the two students in the footage were suspects. They wouldn't have just planned to damage the cameras if they didn't have any hidden agenda. And the closest agenda in the option was to steal the exam papers.

    "One more thing Sir." Seyi spoke up, bringing the detective out of his thoughts. "When I was outside checking if the camera at the entrance was fixed, I saw something else." He said nervously. He didn't know if he was crossing the boundary this time. Playing cop was fun but if it had to do with his life then he should be careful.

    "What did you see? Speak up already." Detective Okoye said impatiently.

   "I saw another camera." He said, "it is much smaller than the usual one that is all over the school. I tried to connect to it but it is already connected to another computer in this school." He explained.

   "That's great. Was the camera turned on?" The detective asked and to his relief, the engineer nodded. That means the second camera captured everything; from the night the security cameras were messed up to the night of the murder. "I need to do something first. Thanks for your cooperation." He said and the engineer smiled nervously. "I promise your name won't be mentioned anywhere else for your protection." He added and Seyi sighed in relief. Okoye connected his phone to the laptop and sent the last footage to his phone. 

    He quickly made his way to the vice principal's office when the video sent. He knocked twice and he heard a faint voice ushering him in. The vice principal looked at him in confusion and he greeted her.

    "Ma'am I need the pictures and names of the students in the school currently. Is there a way I can get it?" He asked and she thought for a moment before nodding. She opened a drawer and took out a year book. The year book was from the recently concluded graduation of the former SS3 students. She turned a few pages and stopped at the page she was looking for.

    "These are the pictures and names of the newly elected prefects. It has most of the students in their class but if the person you are looking for is not there, then I can answer what you want." Mrs Isioma said. The detective thanked her and took the year book. Immediately he stepped out of the office, he played the video one more time and stopped at the girl's part since she looked at the camera. He paused the video and searched the yearbook for her face. 'Bingo!' he thought as he saw the picture of the fair skinned girl staring back at him.

Name: Joy .M. Enahoro

   He wedged the yearbook between his left hand and his chest and took out his pen. He circled her name and searched for the second suspect. He paused the video on the boys face and checked the yearbook for him.