Chapter Two

August 29th, 2022.

   Detective Okoye stared at the closed door of the classroom. The material that was found in the principal's office the previous night was identified as the school's day wear, worn mostly to night preps. That made the top suspect of the case, a student.

   "Oh detective." A voice said and the detective stared at the teacher in front of him. The class door was now open and the students fixed their gaze on the two men.

   "Good morning sir. I'm Detective Okoye." He introduced and they shook hands. The teacher nodded and glanced at the class one more time before walking down the hallway.

   Okoye walked into the classroom and briefly studied them. They were all quiet and stared at him with wide eyes. They must've heard the news. He cleared his throat before introducing himself.

   "I'm Detective Okoye. Some of you must've seen me last night." He said and they sat still. "I just want to tell you not to be afraid. The criminal will soon be caught and you all can go back to your normal activities when that is done. For now, nobody is allowed to go out of the school compound and nobody is allowed in. I heard your teachers stay in the staff quarters so this should not be difficult." He added and the students looked more terrified than they were before he came in. "If you saw anything last night or heard anything, don't hesitate to inform me." He said, giving them a pointed look. They shakily responded and he left.

   He could not believe a student was the prime suspect of the case. But the current events in the country made the story not far-fetched. He walked back to the building where the principal's office was located and unchained the door. His officers had made sure to restrict every entrance to the building the previous night so as to avoid missing any clue.

   Two officers followed him as he walked up the stairs leading to the office. Detective Okoye wore his gloves and face mask and the officers with him did the same before they opened the door.

   He took in the messy state of the office and figured that whoever was there was looking for something but what would that be?

   "Sir." An officer called and Okoye turned. The officer was pointing at a metallic cupboard that was wide open. The cupboard was waist length and was filled with white papers. "These are questions for the mock exam which was supposed to be written today." The officer said. 

    "So whoever messed this place up and possibly killed the principal was really a student.." Detective Okoye mused and the officer nodded.

   "It's likely Sir."

   'What in the world happened on Sunday night?' the detective wondered.

***

10 days before the murder.

   The class was noisy as usual. It was the short break after lunch and the teens were very much hyper.

   Kelvin kept on trying to climb his friend's back as they both headed back to their seats but Damien successfully avoided him. Kelvin decided to try one last time before tripping on a desk and falling face flat on the floor. 

   "Ouch.." a couple of students hissed as they heard the impact of Kelvin's body on the tiled ground. Damien sighed before walking back to his friend and kicking his shoulder lightly.

   "Guy, stand up abeg." He said in a bored tone. Kelvin raised his slightly bruised face and glared at Damien.

   "It's your fault." He blamed and Damien raised his eyebrows.