Project next gen

"And after that Monica taught me how to manipulate kinetic energy, and that's how I supercharged the shield," Danny explained and the door to the quinjet opened

"That wasn't a long story," Wanda commented

"It seemed a lot more complicated in my head," Danny replied, and the 4 kids and Sam walked out of the quinjet only for their joyful smiles to quickly drop. Right there was Fury, with his back facing towards them, and half a dozen S.H.I.E.L.D soldiers.

"Conference room. Now." Fury coldly said, sending a chill down everyone's spine.

The voyage to the conference room was eerily silent, no one dared to say a word.
The conference room was already packed, with most of the remaining avengers at the compound leaving exactly five seats left. Without a word, they each sat in their seats, and the 4 kids sunk into their seats, avoiding the countless eyes pinned in their direction.

"Care to explain the radio silence?" Fury asked at the front of the room with his back turned.

"There's not much to explain sir," Sam replied

"Not much to explain," Fury responded flabbergasted.

"Your mission was to observe the auction house, yet you attacked anyway, and because of that you failed the mission." He added

"With all due respect sir, we didn't fail the mission. Your source gave you incorrect information and we simply adapted to it," Peter said

"And wasn't that the whole point of this mission, so that you could see how we worked together," Danny added

"Speaking of, why did we even get sent on this mission," Shuri added

"I think it's about time we tell them, there isn't much use keeping this from them any longer," Sam said

All the avengers looked up at Fury, who had turned his face to the rest of the room. He let out a sigh and placed his hand on the console in front of him. The screen behind him lit up and on it appeared many different blueprints and plans for buildings, tech and vehicles.

"After Stark's sacrifice last year, Pepper found a flash drive hidden in her suit. In that flash drive was this," Fury said pointing to the screen behind him.

"Blueprints for a project he was working on, to set up a team of next-generation heroes," Bucky said.

"That team is you, or at least Peter," Clint said

"Peter's name was the only one on Tony's list, the rest of you were recommended," Pepper added.

"So you guys tested us to see if we were qualified for this team of, uhhh" Peter started but stumbled on the end of his sentence.

"Young Avengers?" Wanda said completing his sentence

"Exactly," Rhodey replied

"And although you didn't complete the mission in the way we thought, it wasn't a complete fail. You successfully stopped the deal and proved that you worked well together. You did forget to confiscate the chitauri tech, but a S.H.I.E.L.D. team is taking care of that." Fury explained.

"So what happens now?" Wanda asked

"Now you guys go get checked for injuries and rest, we can talk about this later," Pepper said, and the four kids left the room.

"We're not actually calling ourselves the young avengers are we?" Danny asked

"Absolutely not, that's just all I could think of on the spot,' Wanda replied

"What about the champions?" Danny suggested

"That's alright, but what happens if we lose a fight," Wanda replied

"How about the secret warriors?" Shuri suggested

"If we're meant to be the new avengers, then I don't think we're gonna be much of a secret," Danny replied.

"I have an idea," Peter said, and the other three looked in his direction. "Since we live in New York, how about the Newyorkers," He suggested.

They all went silent for a few seconds thinking about the suggested name.
"Simple. I like it,' Shuri said, breaking the silence.

"Me too,' Wanda added "It differentiates us from the Avengers,"

"Well then Newyorkers, I don't know about you guys, but I could use a nap," Danny said to the rest of the team.

"I'm supposed to be the mind reader," Wanda joked, and they walked toward their rooms as something bigger than they were individually. A team that had no idea the difficulties and changes they would face in the future.