Chapter 2: Thunderstorm

Start from the beginning

She let out an annoyed huff, "Could you, please, stop interrupting me?"

After a brief pause, she continues, "I have been here for far longer than you, and I have accepted my fate; my purpose was fulfilled when my country won the war."

She tenderly places a hand on my shoulder when she sees me shudder, "You still have a life ahead of you. I've been thinking, and there is nothing stopping us, really."

I could see the logic behind her words. She was right, there is nothing truly stopping me from risking my life. In another life, before this, I had many ambitions; I had wanted to see father's bitterness at his defeat, to finally sail the seas now that I was old enough, to see my brother again, to live the adventures I had only experienced in fictional books. Now? All those things no longer carried any weight, the only reason I had to stay in place was to spare Saphir from any punishment. But still, there was something that bothered me.

"Why now?"

Her lips pucker into a line, "How perceptive," she lets out with a strained laugh. "Well, the thing is..."

Time seems to asphyxiate me as I wait for her to choose the words. "What? Spit it out."

"I... I'm dying."

Confusion floods my mind. I squint: Somewhere between the words leaving her mouth and reaching my brain, there must have been a mistake. Was this a joke? She had been doing great these days. And yes, her feathers still look a bit pale, and there are traces of restlessness on her face, but dying? It can't be true.

Saphir seems to notice my disbelief, "The fever, and the other symptoms, I will not be around for much longer."

"But-but you said you were better, that it was just a virus," my shacky voice retorts.

"I thought so, at first. But I made some tests. I have a few weeks, at best."

I went silent. The air in the room felt cold and thick; the atmosphere seemed to acknowledge the seriousness of the situation and adjust accordingly. My emotions were overwhelming, there were so many things I wanted to say, yet I remained quiet, the words stuck in my throat. I threw myself to her arms, enclosing her torso in a hug, and she hugged me back. Her chin resting on my head, her silver hair falling silky and blending gracefully with my golden curls.

We stood like that for a long time, until she spoke.

"Don't worry about it," she sweetly said, "It's fine."

It's fine? Her expression was pure calm, almost happy. She seemed to have accepted the future without struggle. Knowing her, there's probably nothing that can save her, or she would have already attempted it. Still, just like that? News told so matter-of-factly, as if it wasn't a dagger to the heart. If she had told me the world was going to end, it would have been less heart wrenching.

A ridiculous whisper fled my lips, "I don't want you to..."

"I made my peace already." She stated, "though I have one last wish. Will you help me?"

I nodded, my head still buried on the feathers of her chest.

"Then we are breaking out, tonight."

-----------

"This way" I whisper, pointing down the corridor that leads to the boss' office. Saphir follows close behind me, not making a sound.

I had walked this floor a thousand times before, but never had it seemed as exciting as it did tonight. I had made my best to bury all thoughts about Saphir's fate until after we get out, and in their place, I managed to focus on the task at hand, which allowed me to feel thrilled: The air was dense, as if it could be cut with a knife, putting me on my toes, but I could not deny that deep inside I rejoiced with the illusion of finally being free.