Chapter 31: Adrift

Start from the beginning

"You're freezing, Chiara." He started warming them in his own.

His warmth relieved the stiffness in her fingers brought on by the low temperatures.

"You should get some rest," he said as he put his arms around her to warm her up.

She leaned against him enjoying the warmth he provided. He caressed her head just as he had done when she was a child in need of comfort.

"Let the gentle current rock you to sleep," he said.

She was worn out and tired, so she nodded and then lay down on the deck where she fell asleep until the sun started its course through the sky.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her sleep was dreamless that night, and when her mind began waking she lay with her eyes closed while allowing her other senses to take in her surroundings. There was no droning engine to let her know she was safely on board Zuko's ship, or even on Zhao's. The only sounds to be heard were water gently splashing against metal mixed with Iroh's soft snores. She did not feel the smooth rocking of the cruiser as it sped through the sea, but only the choppier movements of their homemade raft as it drifted across the ocean. A chill breeze blew over her face and she forced her eyes open. The sun was just making its appearance over the horizon while the ocean reflected its golden rays. She sat up to see Zuko sitting quietly on the other end of the raft leaning against their makeshift mast and staring out at the sea.

Zuko had been watching her sleep, but when she began to stir awake, he turned his eyes to the ocean. He had been thinking about everything, and, as usual, Chiara constantly entered his thoughts. He had not forgotten that she referred to him as her prince, and especially her heart, after the attempted assassination. He was impressed that she disguised herself as Water Tribe and attacked Zhao, and that she made him believe that she had been the Blue Spirit. But he was also concerned and worried by the conversation between her and the admiral. The mere thought that Chiara begged to be Zhao's wife disturbed him, and he could never imagine her doing so. He wanted to believe Zhao was lying, but Chiara never argued with his claim, but only confirmed its truth.

"Are you okay?" she asked. She realized it was stupid question to ask considering their circumstances, but it was too late to take it back.

He was not okay. He moved his eyes to focus on hers. There were dark rings around them, and her face was pale. He had never seen her look so worn out. "As okay as I can be stranded on a raft in the middle of the sea," he answered darkly.

"Are you hungry?"

He shrugged. "I'll wait 'til Uncle's ready to eat...which'll be as soon as he opens his eyes."

She knelt over the edge and started looking for schools. He watched her. He was not used to seeing her in Water Tribe clothes and he was having trouble getting used to it, especially as she was covered in blood.

"Where'd you get the clothes?" he asked.

"I found them."

"Why?"

"I was on a mission."

His brow furrowed as he wondered what mission she could have been on. "A mission?"

"I knew Zhao was planning to destroy the moon spirit," she said. "I went to stop him, but I failed," she added sadly, her eyes losing focus on the water. "I wasn't able to get to him in time before he destroyed it."

"Did Uncle send you on that mission?" he asked both shocked and upset that his uncle would send her alone into enemy territory to deal with Zhao.

"No. I just couldn't take anymore of his plans to destroy the Water Tribe."