38. All My Love

Song: Heartbeat by Christopher
It's like a song that no one hears
I'm screaming out but you're not here
Words don't work
Feeling like they have no worth
Here and now
There's nothing in between
How could I
Ever describe the way I feel
Why should I, even try
When obviously all the words that I say
Seem to get in my way
Only wish I could
Say it with a heartbeat

"Glacia, what did Noah mean when he asked you if you told me that you loved me?"

Asher had transferred their positions so he was leaning over her, eyes only inches away. Glacia gulped. There was no escape, he had her trapped.

She averted her eyes. She didn't want to tell him like this. Shouldn't confessions be soft and romantic and beautiful? Now, everything was intense. He was a mix of frustration and desperation, but also, love. She could see in his face how he hurt too, how he wanted to be with her.

Asher wished she knew how much his body ached for her. He had wanted her so incredibly much that if it were a tangible force, he would have been crushed to pieces ages ago. So much so that he couldn't force her. Not like this. He didn't want to compel her to do anything.

He rolled off her and she finally let out the breath she was holding. She had gone so still upon the realisation that Asher was awake, that he had heard it all. It filled her with dread to rise and look at the boy in front of her.

Unexpectedly, a smile played on Asher's lips. He leaned in close.

"I've decided that you should no longer have a say in this. You clearly want me too, and I don't see any reason for us to not be together."

Glacia never thought she would hear him sound so blunt. He wore a smile that was both sheepish and smug.

Hadn't I already told you how much I need you in my life?

Asher reached out and put his arms around her, drawing her close. Then he lay down on her lap, burying himself in the thin material of her shirt.

It didn't matter that Glacia looked like a wreck. It didn't matter that she went impossibly still. Asher gave a deep sigh. "I'm struggling to find the words again. While... while some of my sanity is still around, let's establish some things."

"Firstly, don't look at me as if I have some kind of timer on my forehead. Let's just cherish what we have now. Secondly, we're going to fight for it. I've tried everything to reverse the Vision, but they said it was impossible. But you're the most capable person I know, Glacia. Together we can change it too. Thirdly --" Asher lifted himself partially, trying to find the words. "What was third again? Jeez, when you're around, I can't --"

Glacia spoke. "Thirdly, if someone ever possesses me and gets me to kill you, you have to kill me first."

Asher snapped straight. His eyes were wide pools of confusion. "What?"

Glacia's hands were shaking again. "Now you know how I feel. The desire to protect you--"

Asher's heart nearly skidded to a stop. When he took in her anxious, shaky state, he pulled her close to him. He buried his face in her hair, smoothing down her arms and running his thumb over the ridges of the crescent moons she engraved into her palms. "I--"

When Glacia looked at him again, her eyes were so electric. She was an astounding beauty to Asher, and he found it almost impossible to say no to her about anything. But this--

"Promise me."

He shook his head. "I can't possibly do something like that."

She shuddered. "You have to. You're going to be King, Asher. The Royalliers need you. Mortals need you too, if you aren't around, I don't know what Dante will bring upon this world."

I need you. Those were the three words she had wanted to add on, but Asher pulled her closer immediately upon hearing what she had said to him.

"How could you think that?" His voice broke. She had barely seen him so vulnerable, so dishevelled and desperate before. Asher's eyes almost seemed kaleidoscopic as he continued. "What's the point of being anything if I don't have you? Don't you get it, Glacia?" His voice rose. "I can't live if you die!"

Asher was panting, broken, by the time he got to that last sentence. Never before had he let his guard down like this. Never had he spoke until he was filled with so much emotion, on the brink of falling apart...

Glacia was the one that held him together. Her heart melted when she saw all his passion behind what he said. She put her arms around him and buried her face into the crook of his neck. There was the familiar feel of him, the way she fit him perfectly and completed him as a whole.

We'll figure something out. We have to. She held onto him tightly, just as he scooped her up. After a deep breath, Asher momentarily broke out of his state. His eyes were dead serious now.

— Royally His will be back for Part II! Stay tuned <3