chapter 9

"this is so much better than class." margot says as she watches the game intently, ferris nods and looks at her like she's finally getting it.

"i told you today would be better than class and that we would make it out alive, things always work out mar. there's no sense in worrying." he says in an aloof fashion, margot scoffs at his words.

"for you, you never have to worry about anything cause you've haven't gotten in trouble in your whole life." she says as the batter readies his stance, the bases loaded. it's been a good game, 0 to 0 but it's only the fourth hit so anything could happen. the ball flys through the air heading straight for foul territory, right to ferris. all that margot can think is that he just has really good luck, like really good luck.

"i think i broke my thumb." ferris complains as he sits down, margot rolling her eyes at his dramatics. if he actually broke his thumb he'd be crying and causing a scene.

cameron ignores ferris's complaints because he to knows that ferris is fine and he's just dramatic, "hey batta batta batta batta swing batter." he looks to ferris, "come on."

"hey batta batta batta batta swing batter." they say in unison.

"kennedy-kennedy-kennedy-kennedy-kennedy, swing batta."

margot may have succumbed to ferris's fun day plan but she still has her head screwed on a bit, so rather than jacking around all day she's decided that just for the sake of her teachers she'll finish the class work cause if she doesn't she'll forget about it and then she'll get points taken off for it being late and she'll forget again and she'll have detention. detention with rooney is about the last thing she'd wanna do on a saturday morning.

"did you go to science this morning or did you leave before it?" sloane asks as they sit together, half watching the game half doing homework.

"i left before it, i don't really get the homework though. just doesn't make very much sense to me." margot says as she looks at the paper, sloane brought her an extra so that they could at least get some work done. they're expected to excel, no one expects much school wise from ferris so he's fine jacking around but all of a sudden getting a bad grade would be weird and suspicious.

"you wouldn't have gotten it even if you were there." she says with a chuckle as margot looks over her shoulder, trying to understand what she needs to do. margot chuckles and smiles before looking back to her work, the hot sun beaming down on her.

after the game the quartet walk over to the chicago art institute and for once the place isn't nearly overflowing with people. if you go there on the weekends you'll wait in line for up to an hour, you never get a moment of peace and it's insanely loud for an art museum. the best time in margot's opinion is to go during the day, one time she got free leave from school for an "art project" and went alone.

"race ya." ferris says before the four run up the steps, margot taking the lead.

"that wasn't even fair, you do track mar. we should've gotten like a one second head start." cameron says as they walk in, margot shakes her head no with a small smile.

"no way." she whispers as they all go through, due to the fact that a couple generously donated money for teens to attend the museum free they don't have to pay. "even then i'd still win." she says with a small smile.

"i would win out of spite." ferris buds in, she rolls her eyes but smiles knowing that at least had have the intention to win out of spite.

"you keep on believing that buddy." she says as they walk in being face to face with priceless works of art just through the doors, cameron and sloane chuckling at her words.

the four goof around the museum, joining a young group of kindergartners on their field trip, looking at priceless works of art before margot and ferris end up at ivan albright's "a picture of dorian gray". margot looks to ferris before saying, "that's you." her finger pointing at the painting.

ferris looks at her, his face thoroughly unamused. she chuckles at his face and he hits her shoulder.

"come on. it was funny." she says as she looks back at the painting.

"so not funny." he says monotonously, he would never let margot think that he thinks that she's funny.

they move on, sloane and cameron joining them again. they walk around cameron splitting away from the group; margot, sloane, and ferris heading to marc chagall's "america windows". margot looks at the glass, admiring the bright blue stained glass with the cultural motifs decorating it.

  "it's really quite beautiful isn't it?" margot asks, looking over to ferris and sloane, rather than being met with the two looking at the glass she finds them kissing and decides now would be a good time to excuse herself.

she decides to look for cameron, preferring to be with at least one of her friends rather than alone. she walks through the exhibits before seeing a bright red shirt out of the corner of her eye, she looks to see cameron intently staring at georges seurat's "a sunday on la grande jatte".

margot approaches cameron as he gets sucked deeper and deeper into the painting, the more that he looks at the painting the less it becomes. she stands next to him as he stares ahead, holding her left arm as she to looks at the painting. the painting is a lot of nothing creating something.

cameron looks to her as he's broken out of his daze, a small smile on his face.

"whole lot of nothing huh?" cameron asks her, she nods as she admires the painting.

"whole lot of nothing." she murmurs in agreement as he bumps his hand against hers, she smiles at him and they both think "i should just say it" but they don't say anything. with the school coming to a close there's a pressure on both of them just to say something. it's messy beginning to date a graduating senior right before they leave, they're already on a their path. but if neither of them say nothing you're either stuck with this stupid crush that'll never end and it'll be super awkward whenever they see each other with ferris. if they do tell each other but don't date it'll just be awkward, people always say it won't be awkward but it always is.

they snap out of their moment, "sloane and ferris are off sucking face in front of some stained glass. so it looks like it's you and me for a bit." margot says with a chuckle, cameron chuckles at her words, pulling his hand away.

"god," he mutters with a smile, "you're kinda stealing my look today bueller, might need to decide who gets to wear jerseys when." he says, margot laugh and smiles widely, remembering her thoughts as she drove home with him.

"you know i was thinking just that when i got in your car." margot says, her smile bright. he chuckles at her words.

"ok so how about you get tuesday's, thursday's, and sunday's and i get monday's, wednesday's, and friday's. saturday's are fair game. game days too." he says, both of them smiling as he says it.

"i think i can work with that." she says with a giggle, "i get a pass today though, right? new rules and all." she says, he chuckles and rolls his eyes.

"i guess i'll be generous, even though it is my day." he says as if he was sparing margot.

"thank you." she says with a small giggle, looking back to the painting, "let's see something else, eh?" she says, cameron nodding with a smile before the two of them walk off.