A Pirate's Life for Me

Start from the beginning

He often thought about running away, especially when he was a child. He dreamt about living in the forest with his mother, chasing rabbits and playing with deer. He dreamt of travelling with Natsuo and finding Touya in some far off land where they could be together. He dreamt of exploring land and sea, studying the stars and learning about the people of his land. Alas, his streak of rebellion was rewarded with a scar over his left eye, his father's first and only warning that he should not attempt to run away again. 

Now he was 20 and sailing across the sea to be wed to a stranger. Once they were married he would be expected to have children, to be crowned King, and to never have a spare moment to himself ever again. It was all suffocating, and all Shoto wanted was to breathe. Ironic, as he was currently in the middle of the ocean and had all the air he could ever want at his disposal, but all the salty air could do was remind him he was one step closer to sealing his fate, forever under his father's rule.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

It was three days until the ship would dock at the Yaoyorozu kingdom. The weather was slowly getting warmer, far better than the icy winter of the Todoroki kingdom he had left behind. The sun provided warmth, accompanied by the gentle sea breeze, and if Shoto could forget why he was on the ship then he would most likely enjoy the experience. 

Outside his quarters he could hear Tensei giving orders to the crew, managing the sails and cleaning the deck, all whilst he stood at the wheel to ensure they were heading in the right direction. From outside the window he could see a scattering of distant islands, the small pieces of land that outlined the heart of the Yaoyorozu kingdom. The mainland was vast according to his maps, and the islands were once used for battle during the Great War.

The Great War was a time before Shoto was born, when the Kings and Queens of different nations constantly fought and battled. There was no consensus over laws and values, different ideas about what land belonged to what kingdom, and at one point there was so much fighting it was no surprise if two soldiers of the same nation attacked each other. Of course his father used this time to surmount mass amounts of land, claiming victory in all of his battles for his strong strategy and army. Todoroki soldiers endured harsh training to be the best of the best, and many kingdoms fell under their banner.

After many years of fighting peace was achieved, each ruler signing the Official Document of Peace and Justice that would prevent any fighting in the future. A copy of the treaty was in the castle's library, and each of Shoto's many tutors ensured he could recall the entire 19 pages from memory. Despite being laborious and repetitive, he understood its importance in maintaining trade across borders and stopping future bloodshed. 

But that didn't mean the end of all fighting. Crime was still present throughout the world, thieves of overthrown communities stealing and pillaging in order to make ends meat, and pirates who refused to obey the laws of any land and roamed the ocean as free men and women. His father called these people the scum of the earth, people who didn't deserve to live, but Shoto saw these people as desperate but free. Brave and free.

When he was a child he remembered Touya reading him a story about pirates. There was a mighty ship full of the fiercest pirates ever known, and everyday they went on adventures looking for new treasure. Eventually, his brother told him, the ship was so full of jewels and gold that it sank, but he thinks that part was just for dramatic emphasis. Either way it was a great story, one that took Shoto's mind to far off lands instead of the cuts and bruises littering his body. 

Whoever said the life of a Prince was easy or comfortable was a lie. Each day is controlling and suffocating, and there is no time for parties or play. Nothing comes before the crown, before the titles that rest upon their shoulders, and for that the price to pay is heavy. No fun or laughter, no joy or freedom, Shoto's childhood was cut short the moment he was born. The only fond memories he had was of his brother reading him stories, his sister making flower crowns, and his mother singing him to sleep. The past decade and more of Shoto's life has been nothing but isolation, and even the vastness around him couldn't comfort the emptiness in his heart.