Chapter 14

We found a spot in the parking lot of the resort. I could feel Connor's hesitation before he started to speak. He always seemed to embrace his life, but now maybe I saw vulnerability. Or maybe he didn't want to be seen with me. Once again, insecurity crept up from my subconscious, remembering my mother's words: Connor would not want these pictures out there.

"I'll go in and grab something really quick. You can wait in the car if you want," I said first.

"No, no. We have to hit up the rental shop too." He put on his sunglasses and beanie.

"Totally inconspicuous," I laughed. "Maybe a mustache or prosthetic nose would add to it."

He rolled his eyes at me behind his sunglasses, pushed the door open, and stretched his arms as high as he stood. I was frozen in place watching his shirt come up a few inches, revealing the top of his boxers and the deep groove of his spine. Then he bent to tie his shoe, and fire started shooting up within me. I tried to turn my head, but my eyes were stuck on his ass. He turned so quickly, he had to notice when I snapped my head forward.

"Are you getting out or are you too embarrassed to get shown up on the slopes?" He opened the back door and grabbed our bags while I waited out the intense blushing session I was having. "Any day now," he teased me, looking at his watch.

"I'm coming. Patience," I said. It had to be gone by now, I prayed. I got out the car and walked around to the sidewalk.

"Clothes first," he said, pointing in the direction of the shops.

The door chimed with an upbeat tune as Connor held it open for me.

"Let me know if I can help you with anything," a voice called from the back.

I pointed out the woman's section to Connor, who followed me. "What color?" he asked.

"Black or white, I guess. None of this pink everything." I held up the smallest size pants I could find. They were still way too long. "Why can't anyone make things for short people?"

Connor laughed. "Kid's section?"

Awesome. There aren't many feelings similar to when your insecurities slap you in the face. Connor followed behind me again to the other side of the store.

"If I was a normal size, I could wear normal clothes. You think I could inject human growth hormone this late and grow a few inches?"

"I like your size," he said. "Besides, that would probably make you look like Stewie from Family Guy when Peter injects him with steroids."

I made a face at him then turned to look through a rack. "Cara and Kate would never have to buy children's clothing or get mistaken for a child. Maybe a giraffe though."

"But I can't do this to Cara or Kate," Connor said behind me. I started to turn, but he placed his hands on my upper arms. His front connected flush with my back. My whole body jolted like he jump started it. He laid his chin on the top of my head. Then he ran his hands down my arms and lingered at my wrists, lightly wrapping his long fingers around them. But just as quickly as he touched me, he broke contact. I stepped back, off balance without his weight behind me, and realized I was leaning into him. "You're a nugget," he said, almost lovingly, into my ear.

My brain screamed, No, come back at the same time as, Think fast, Marin.

"What about this one?" I said, grabbing the nearest jacket and pants set and twirling around.

Connor looked down and scrunched his nose. "That's a lot of...pink."

"It's perfect!" I said sarcastically.