"Sorry Matteo, I'm just thinking a lot"

"I know you are, and I know why"

I take a chug of my whisky and swallow hard. Tonight the nightmares begin.

"Look I'm fine okay, i-it was years ago and I've moved on" I stutter a little.

I gaze out the window to my left, taking in the night sky and brightly lit moon. I always felt at peace looking at it.

"It's trauma, Hadley. Doesn't matter how long ago it was it doesn't always go away, sometimes it never does" he tells me.

"Gee thanks that makes me feel a whole lot better" I huff.

Matteo stands up out of his seat and walks around to my side of the table. He lifts me out of my chair and holds me close. Cradling my head and letting my arms just hang loose at my sides.

My comforting little white wolf. Well not so little but that's not the point. He's so good with me. He knows how to deal with me and my issues.

I loved Matteo. Not in a romantic way but in a brotherly way. He substitutes for the family I never had. I'd give my life for him if I had to, that's how much love and respect I have for this guy.

I raise my arms and wrap them around his neck "Lift me out to the car I'm too tired to walk"

He chuckles and lifts my tiny frame. Pulling me into him tightly and holding me up by my thighs. I let my head lean against his chest.

Oh, how I wish this was us. Me and you. It could have been so great. But you chose the wrong one.

I'm carried out of the room and down a carpet-covered staircase. Matteo's steps are heavy as he takes us both out of the house and into the open garage where our cars are parked.

Little shit had his car here the whole time and he uses mine. He loves getting under my skin.

He puts me down in front of my car and I open the door, practically falling into my seat from the tiredness that suddenly crept itself upon me.

"Matteo?" I call out to him as he approaches his own car.

"Hmm?"

"Just head home okay. I'm gonna go for a little drive, clear my head. I'll see you back there in about two hours" I inform him.

He nods and hops into the driver's seat of his Ford Mustang. He pulls out of the garage and gives me a beep before driving out of the driveway and into the normal country roads.

I sigh and slightly bang my forehead against the wheel. God, I feel so stupid.

Every time I go back to Vincent in my head, and replay everything over and over it just sets me back and I don't need that. Nor do I want that.

My thoughts get the better of me and drift off into a time when we were happy...

He kissed me softly at first. But then it turned hard, needy. His tongue rolled with mine each time we went back into each other's mouths. His hands slowly went under my tank top, lifting the thin fabric and pulling it up over my head, breaking our kiss. I was breathing heavy, he was breathing like he was impatient and hungry. Hungry for my skin. He threw my tank top on the ground, his t-shirt following straight after. Gently he pushed me down so I was lying on my back with him on top of me. His first aim was to remove my bottom clothing which covered my innocence and he did so by peeling down my black joggers and finally my black lace panties. The way he stared at me it was just pure craving. He ached to lick my skin all over, taste what was his. He told me I was beautiful, so delicate and tiny underneath him. He wanted to care for me, but teach me that I belonged to him at the same time. I started taking my bra off, becoming impatient with his intense ogling. He growled and lowered his head down to between my thighs. I sucked in a breath when his pointy hot tongue very briefly poked at the sphere of nerves in my womanhood. His eyes look up at mine momentarily. A wicked smile made an appearance on his face. I felt so scared and vulnerable with him at that particular moment, that look on his face. It wasn't evil, it was full of nothing but desire. He wanted me, but I needed him. Maybe at that moment, I should have realised what he really was...

I give myself a harsh slap to the face trying to awaken myself out of these ludicrous thoughts. The night I lost my virginity was not what I thought it was. For him, it was only out of desperation. Pig.

I run my hand on the sensitive area that use to hold my mate's mark, which was long gone now. Replaced by a deep 'X' wound. I wanted nothing of him left on my body. Not his mark, not his scent, not even the memories I have of him. Those were harder to get rid of than the others.

I realise now that back then I was naive since I slept with someone I didn't really know. Our bond never got far enough to call it love. We were just wrapped up in the moment and never really stopped to think about how little we knew of one another.

Now I know that one thing is for sure, you can't trust somebody you just met!

At one point he was supposed to be my saving grace, but I am my own saving grace, my own protector and I'll never change it.

I huff and press the engine button on my car to start her up. A roaring sound can be heard and with that, I pull out of the open garage and slowly move down the driveway. Once I hit the open country road that was surrounded by trees and forestry I put my foot down on the pedal and headed for home. My true home.

It was a two-hour drive until I made it back to the huge land mass that I owned. I named the place Clementine Valley after hearing it in a dream I had many moons ago when I was younger. The land is covered in huge mountains, emerald green coloured grass for miles and thousands upon thousands of trees and greenery.

It looked like a gigantic country park however I can assure you that no one is allowed to tread on my territory without my say-so. This is where our main base is for work, however, at a first glance, you wouldn't think there is some underworld criminal activity going on. It looks more like a farm, and that is the exact kind of trickery I was going for.

A decent-sized three-bedroom farmhouse sits on a random patch of open area grass. The house was positioned next to a red barn of similar size, and a small chicken coop. A little bit away from it all there was another barn painted in navy blue. That barn is for our horses.

My car approaches a patch of grass which is shaped into a large square, it sits a little differently from the rest of the grass but nothing you would notice if you weren't looking for it. I sit there for a moment, just waiting in patience and silence.

The screen inside my car which sits above the gearbox goes to white noise before Dakota's face pops into view. She gives me a look over "Password?" her voice comes through my car speakers.

"Tiger," I say simply.

"Welcome back Alpha Sombre" Her voice was professional and clear.

One of the many names I go by. In werewolf terms, I am alpha sombre which means dark alpha in french. The name Godfather comes from the humans who don't know my identity and assume I am a man due to my success.

"Mhmm"

The patch of square grass suddenly shakes and raises itself and splits in the middle. The two separate parts open up completely and move to either side creating a large pathway. My car moves toward it and the nose of my car shoots down, the headlights lighting up a downward ramp tunnel way.

Dakota is gone from the screen and I drive steadily down this dark ramp passageway until I reach a large wooden door which quickly rises from the ground to let me through into the large garage that is full of cars.

Clementine Valley is not just a farm, it is an underground criminal base which houses hundreds of my wolves and divines. I am a fucking god and if my past could see me they would think twice about their savage attack on me.

~🌙~