ii. drunken kiss

chapter two

chapter two . . . drunken kiss

INSTEAD OF THE HEARING THE SHRIEK OF HER ALARM CLOCK, Josie was abruptly woken up from her sleep with a pillow being hit across her face and the voice of her brother, yelling in her ear drum. "Josie, wake up! Today is very important." The day was Halloween, which was, like Dustin had said, a very important holiday within the Henderson household. Mostly because the siblings favored the holiday so much and celebrated every year without fail.

"Okay, jeez." She winced at the sudden light that engulfed her room as Dustin whipped open the curtains, sprinting out her room. Grabbing the first thing she saw in her closet, she walked down the hallway to see Dustin dressed up in his Ghostbuster costume. "Holy shit! Dude, you look awesome." She smiled.

Dustin's cheeks flared at the compliment with their mother continuing to capture the moment on her camera.

"Let me get a picture!" She excitedly said. The siblings went back to back — Josie holding her hands together to mimic a fake gun and Dustin held the wand to his proton pack.

Lastly, Josie turned on her heels bringing her brother into a hug. "Aw, look at you guys!" Their mother gushed at the sight of her two children, taking more pictures.

"Mom!" Dustin whined, causing Josie to laugh as the boy escaped her clutches.

"Do you need a ride to school?" The girl asked him, "I'm meeting Jonathan to study in a couple of minutes."

Dustin shook his head, "We're all planning to meet up on our bikes."

"Well, I gotta go but you're gonna kill it." Josie ruffled his head of curls, grabbing her backpack and running out the door, "Love you both! Bye!"

In the school library, Jonathan and Josie had all of their school books spread out onto the wooden table, getting last minute assignments and studying done. The Henderson girl kept her head down, her pen scribbling along the paper. "Hey, could you pass me the ruler?" She asked the boy beside her, getting no response. "Jonathan?" Josie looked up, seeing that he was practically drilling holes into Steve and Nancy's heads' with a look of jealously. "You're not very subtle, you know?"

Jonathan snapped out of his trance at the sound of Josie's voice, "What?" She snorted at his delayed response.

"You're staring. It's making me think you didn't actually need to study."

"I am studying."

"Good. Then help me with this, this math assignment is kicking my ass." Josie tapped her pen against the paper, her attention drawing onto the couple as they left the pencil sharpener at the back of the library and heading to a small closet with Steve shutting the blinds.