[ small talk, he drives
coffee at midnight
the light reflects
the chain on your neck ]

as it turned out, biana and tam had been accepted into the same university. the two of them became fast friends, unlike how it was back in high school. now, tam was driving them to the coffee shop a few blocks away from eternalia university, an impromptu visit before finals started the next day.

it was the middle of the night, and the dark, looming clouds covered the moon, so the only light to guide them was from the streetlights. biana reached a hand out and flicked on the radio. soft music played in the background as tam continued to drive.

she glanced at him, thankful that he was so focused on driving that he didn't notice her eyes transfixed on him. pulling her bottom lip between her teeth, biana admired the way tam clenched his jaw as he concentrated on driving. her eyes lingered on the way his dark and long eyelashes fluttered against his cheeks every time he took a breath, on the graceful slope of his nose and on his rosy lips.

briefly, she wondered how they'd feel against her own.

but she caught herself, and pulled her attention away from tam's gorgeous face. a few minutes later, they pulled into the drive-thru of the coffee-shop. he ordered a black coffee and an ice cappuccino— his order, and hers.

the fluorescent light from the menu-boards directed biana to the silver chain around tam's neck, which glinted. a smile lit up her face. nights like these were ones she lived for.

[ he says, "look up"
and your shoulders brush
no proof, one touch
but you felt enough ]

tam's hand brushed against biana's as they walked along the waterfront. his heart leapt to his throat, but he didn't say anything, though he yearned for their hands to meet again.

they continued along the cobblestone path, hands brushing every few minutes, fingers close enough to touch, but retracting away at the slightest touch. tam noticed biana shivering, and shrugged off his leather jacket. "take it," he said, and she did.

she looked like a dream, tam thought, in her floral dress and his jacket. though the jacket nearly swallowed her whole, and the sleeves were too long, biana looked amazing in leather.

"thanks," she whispered, wrapping her arms around herself as yet another breeze blew by them. a few strands of hair slipped out from her braid, and tam wished to tuck them behind her ears.

but he simply tucked his hands into the pockets of his dark jeans, and continued walking.

as the reached the end of the pier, tam looked up to see the moon in all its glory. he cast a glance sideways at biana, to see if she saw it too, but she was focused on the ripples and waves of the water.

"look up," he said softly, nudging biana's shoulder and then pointing upwards.

she sucked in a breath, and leaned closer to him. their shoulders brushed coincidentally, sending sparks up tam's spine. "oh, it's beautiful," biana said wistfully, still staring up at the moon.

"yes," tam said softly, but his eyes were on the brunette beauty standing beside him. "beautiful."

and she turned to him, beaming.

[ you can hear it in the silence, silence, you
you can feel it on the way home, way home, you
you can see it with the lights out, lights out ]

biana and tam held hands as they stumbled out of the bar. neither of them said a word, the events of that night still being played over and over in their heads. a smile lit up biana's face as the silence grew comfortable, and she held onto tam's hand a little tighter as they ran down the crosswalk.