Chapter 17

I cautiously stepped into the Hospital Wing, bewildered from the short conversation I had just overheard just outside the door. Dumbledore shut the double doors behind me with the subtle wave of his wand once I was completely inside. I glanced at Kasper, who was now awake and sitting up in his bed. Though I studied him with my eyes, he never once looked at me. He never once spared me a glance. Instead, he kept his gaze towards his hands which lay folded together in front of him in his lap.

"Miss Rosewood, Kasper had recently brought to our attention and made us aware that both sets of parents possess the Dark Mark. Is this true?"

I once again looked over at Kasper for emotional support, however, I received not even a single glimpse.

"Yes sir," I answered timidly.

"And they have had the Dark Mark for how long exactly?" questioned Dumbledore even further.

Why wasn't Kasper acknowledging me?

"Since I was eight," I stated.

Dumbledore sighed and put his arms behind his back. He then slowly walked toward the other side of Kasper's bed.

I had no idea what was happening. All I knew is that Kasper confessed.

I couldn't believe it.

"Aurors are being sent to both of your houses as we speak. If we do find evidence that they are Death Eaters, they will all be sent to Azkaban."

"Azkaban?" I accidentally said aloud.

"Yes, Azkaban. I'm very sorry, but Death Eaters or even potential followers of Voldemort are not permitted to walk freely."

I flinched when he said the name. I really never understood why Dumbledore said You-Know-Who's name with no hesitation. Probably because he is the only person You-Know-Who fears.

But I just couldn't fathom what was happening at the moment. My parents and Kasper's parents were being arrested and sent to Azkaban after all these years. It was all happening too fast. I never knew one little confession was all it took. However, what would happen to me and Kasper? Where would we go? What does this mean for us?

My concern wasn't for my parents, yet rather it was for me and Kasper.

Mostly Kasper.

"I also have to say that you two could potentially be testifying court. From what I've heard, there is some abuse in the background as well. Is this also true, Miss Rosewood?"

"Yes sir," I replied once more to Dumbledore.

I had not even noticed how hard my heart was beating. Today has just been too much.

Way too much.

I stayed and watched Kasper over night after he passed out, I told my story to my friends, and now suddenly I'm aware that mine and Kasper's parents will be charged for their crimes.

"I know this may be a lot for the two of you, however, if there be any chance, may I ask why  either of you didn't come out about this sooner?"

No response came immediately. Both me and Kasper wanted the opposite person to answer. The memories weighed heavily upon us. The trauma was truly a burden. None of it could be forgotten or set aside.

It was apart of who I was.

Finally, when the silence had been dragged out too long, Kasper spoke up.

"They threatened to hurt us if we ever told anyone. They reminded us daily what our punishment would be if we ever spoke up. Plus, it was just never safe."