15

~ phoenix ~

When the heel of my boot crushed the snow beneath it, and the wind hurled icy droplets at my face, I hoped that I was not as unwelcome on Aliena's territory as I already felt.

Before the plane even touch down, I watched several black SUVs race onto the airfield, no doubt alerted by their radar.

Dozens of black suited men watched as I approached Markov, the right hand.

"You're alive," he commented, dryly before raising a questioning brow.

"I need to speak to Aliena," I responded.

He regarded me wearily for a long moment.

"Urgently," I pressed.

Markov turned to nod at one of his men, before returning to his car.

The man approached me stiffly, before reaching to pat me down. I couldn't resist the urge to roll my eyes, and held my arms up for him to continue his search. His large hands did not stop at my torso, moving down below my hips. I was grateful that he did not reach up my skirt, although that changed when he felt the outline of a pocket knife against my thigh. He tossed it onto the snow not before tossing me a wary glance.

Helena grudgingly approached him for the same treatment but he ignored her.

"Just you," he grumbled.

I tossed Helena a reassuring glance when she began to protest and followed Markov into a black car.

The journey was short and silent. Like the icy wind, the men we were surrounded by showed no signs of warmth.

When the SUV rumbled to a halt, I was escorted into a white extravagant palace with gleaming crystal glass windows. Markov guided me up a spiralling staircase to the fourth floor and knocked on a large set of double doors.

From within came an almost inaudible hum.

He opened the door, waited for me to go in and then left.

I raised my eyes to meet the ones already burning holes into my head.

Aliena smiled, although there was certainly traces of a smirk.

It appeared as though the woman had not aged a day since the last I saw her. Her long lengths, now bleached white blonde, were braided intricately as they hung below her waist. She wore an immaculate cream suit and no jewellery.

As I sized her up, I could feel her do the same.

Finally, someone broke the silence.

"To what do I owe this pleasure, Dama,"
she mused, voice as soft as silk. She even dipped her chin.

I wondered if she was mocking me.

"I've come..." I took a deep breath, before continuing, "with a proposition."

Aliena was silent when I expected her to laugh.

A second later, she stood from her perch on the edge of the desk and went to sit in the grand chair behind it.

I watched her carefully.

"I liked you, Phoenix," she murmured.

I resisted the urge to clench my fist. But I chose not to correct her term of address.

"A part of me still covets this beautiful... bulletproof woman that you've become." She stopped to sigh. "So why must you put me in such an undesirable position?"

Finally, she raised her eyes to meet mine once again.

"As much as I would like to, I cannot consider whatever deal you've brought to me today."