Hui Suhagan Re

The sound of Conch shells and horns startled the bride. The Baarat was at the door. Ajabde felt her hands go cold in nervousness. She called Ratnavati by her side, " Please check one more time, how am I looking?"

"Ofho! Jiji you look beautiful, as the Kuwarani of Mewar should be." She was not convinced. " Go check yourself on the mirror, I am going to the roof to see Kunwarsa." Ratnavati rushed out in excitement, as Ajabde stood in her room alone. She walked up to the mirror and checked herself for the hundredth time. She was wearing the traditional Royal red lehenga. Eight signs of her new married life were shining on her. The mang tika traditionally gifted to her by Jaivanta Bai, the Bangles (white and red), Kamarbandh, Necklace, earrings, Nosering, Rings and toe rings made of gold, silver and various gems completed her bridal look. Suddenly Ratnavati came back in, " Jiji, come with me." 

"Where?" "Come with me." Ratnawati took her down the corridor to the Jharokha and told her to take a look. There was a crowd of people gathered outside, cheering for her favourite son who sat atop the white horse looking handsome in his wedding attire. Smiles were all around as he was showered with flower petals and Ajabde's mother performed the aarti. Ajabde caught a glimpse of his smiling face from the jharokha and her heart seemed to calm down. Being welcomed to the wedding hall, Kunwar Pratap looked around at a crowd of eager unfamiliar eyes staring at him. At the centre was the well-decorated Lagna Mandap decorated with Rangoli and flowers. The priests sat performing Havan. He was made to sit with them for the prayers to Lord Ganesha and Vishnu. Back in the inner palace, the ladies came to get Ajabde. It was time to get married. Her face was covered by the dupatta she was helped by maids to walk down the hallway in her heavy lehenga and gaudy jewellery. Her heart pounded as the wedding hall came nearer with each step she took, her childhood seemed to leave her. She felt her hands tremble as Ratnawati took them to lead her to the Mandap. She couldn't look up at him, through the corner of her eyes she saw him look down at the fire altar, reciting whatever he was told to repeat. They exchanged varmala as the families showed blessings. Kunwar Pratap looked down at her face hidden in the dupatta as she looked at his feet.

She was made to sit beside him and recite the mantras. No words were exchanged as the priest put her hand in his and asked her father to step in for the Kanyadaan. She felt his hand hold hers firmly, as though reassuring her that he will always be there for her. She smiled under her dupatta.

She was given to him by her father. A lump in her throat appeared as the priest reminded her father that he now had no right over her. She fought back her tears. Their choli was tied together for the Saat Phera and as she followed his footsteps, she promised herself to be loyal and supportive to him no matter what. He walked ahead, happy to have won her love, happy to call her his. Her dupatta was held up for the Sindoor Daan, and he looked at her face for the first time. Her eyes shone as they met his for a brief moment. The priest held out the Sindoor Daani and he used his royal ring to fill her forehead with the red powdered Vermilion. He smiled at her ever-smiling face as the families rained them with flower petals. They were made to sit on a couch after the wedding for a royal lunch. People came to bless them, compliment them and take a look at the new bride. After lunch, they were made to rest in separate rooms as per the norms. Crowded by people he was eager to talk to his new bride. She waited for him, surrounded by her Sakhis. They laughed and teased her about her first night at his palace. She looked at herself in the mirror, one mark on her forehead made her a woman from a girl, she felt the magic already. He was restless among his friends and brothers as they prepared to leave. He wanted to talk to her before she bid farewell to her parents but he knew it was not possible now. He looked across the hall to the room where she sat, grim faces of relatives and friends leaving the room as Ajabde prepared to leave her parents forever. They were made to sit together, her face yet again hidden in the dupatta but her soft sniffs haunted him. He felt guilty about the pain she felt now. With that guilt he became more responsible toward her, promising himself to keep her happy. The elders blessed them as they made their way out of the palace. A royal Palanquin waited for Ajabde to take the Kuwarani of Mewar to her new home. With the Baraat returning with horses full of gifts, the city of Chittor gathered on the streets to see their Prince take his bride home. A humbled Kunwar Pratap waved to the crowd as Ajabde peeped through the curtains of her palanquin carefully avoiding people's view. They were stopped at Rana Kumbha's Palace Gateway by Udai Singh's wives led by Maharani Jaivanta Bai. She was a happy mother, ready to welcome her daughter-in-law home. She welcomed them with the traditional aarti as they sought her blessings and placed the pot of rice in front of Ajabde to tilt over. She entered the palace leaving the red marks of her hands and feet on the walls and floor of the palace, she was now the Laxmi of the household. She was escorted in by the wives of Udai Singh and taken to the Ganpati Mandir at the doorway. The new couple was made to perform a puja before their Graha Pravesh. Maharani Jaivanta Bai escorted Ajabde to her new room. " You like it?" Ajabde looked around the large room in awe. " You know when I was Kuwarani I had to live in Kumbhalgarh and there were no separate special rooms for me, when we came to Chittor I kept this room locked for Mewar's Kuwarani." Jaivantabai went on. " Dhanyavaad Ranima." Ajabde was soft as always. That night she slept with her mother-in-law in her new room as per the norms. They were not allowed to meet or talk even at dinner. Ajabde was served dinner in her room, in silverware. She ate in silence, two maids in her attention, and she felt alone in this large palace. The next morning she woke up and was helped by the maids to bathe and get dressed. She was not used to constant attention like this by maids but now this was life. She was ready in a new red lehenga, gaudy jewellery and sindoor, looking like a beautiful new bride and she arranged her Puja thali.

Ranima entered with Kunwar Pratap. " Today Kunwarsa will take you to Meera Baisa's Krishna temple for your morning prayers, the Palanquin and guards are ready." She turned around and saw him smiling at her. As Jaivanta Bai left both were at a loss for words. As they walked down the hall, ignoring the smiling glances of the guards and maids he asked her in whispers " You could sleep yesterday? Are you all right?" Their first words in two days, she blushed at his care, " I am fine Kunwarsa. I love the room." They reached the Meera Bai Temple in a procession. As they were alone, praying at the temple, he smiled to himself, he felt so complete. She turned to him after collecting her thali from the priest, " Kunwarsa Prasad." He looked at her amused, " So I become Kunwarsa from Kunwar Pratap now Ajabde?" She didn't reply. They walked to the stairs and he helped her down. His hands were rough from wars, hers felt like soft cotton in his. Back in the palace, he sneaked into her room while the others were meeting the priests for the Muhurat of their first night. She turned around, " Kunwarsa somebody will..." His laugh stopped her. " Am your husband now, nobody will..." He laughed again as she smiled embarrassedly at her habit of trying to make him go away. He held her hand and took out a box from his jhola and placed it in her hands. A clueless Ajabde looked at the box as he gently said " Open it." There was a pair of payals in the box, beautifully made of stones and silver. She smiled. His first gift to her after marriage.).He went over to her Puja Ghar, adjacent to her large bedroom and placed the Krishna Murti she had given him on their Sagaai. He had kept his promise to take care of her lord till she came to Chittor, now it was her turn to look after his home. She went and touched the Lord's feet. He turned back to leave. Before leaving he said, " Always call me Kunwar Pratap, make me remember my childhood, always." His words touched her soul, Yes, they were connected to each other's childhood, youth and lifetime, their bond was meant to be forever, for the next seven lives. She smiled back at him and nodded in approval. They both knew they were going to step into the threshold of their youth tonight with each other, nervous, anxious and still inexperienced they looked forward to their married life together.

Many more marriages and difficulties to come, that night a clueless Ajabde and Kunwar Pratap started their journey towards what was going to be an epic journey of Bravery, Love and Sacrifice.
After a year and a half, on June 1558 Ajabde was pregnant with the future Kunwar of Mewar, as the new capital was being built at Udaipur. When Amar Singh was born to her, Mewar knew its future was secured in the hands of the child of Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde who loved their subjects like children.

The End

For more stories on Pratap Ajabdeh, fanfiction and love stories visit "A Journey To Discover Life" my blog by searching for the same on Google or Dm