Volume 1: Chapter 3 Part 4

Start from the beginning

Before knocking on his homeroom teacher's dorm, he took a quick look around his surroundings, as if looking out for something. The "thing" that he was looking out for was a certain homeroom teacher of Ichinose's class. In other words, Hoshinomiya Chie.

Luckily, he didn't see Hoshinomiya anywhere, which meant he was safe... for now. Sighing, Kiyotaka knocked at Chabashira's door and waited for an answer. A few seconds later, the door opened and revealed the brown haired teacher.

"Come in, Ayanokouji."

Kiyotaka entered Chabashira's room, allowing her to close the door behind her and prevent anything terrible from happening, i.e. Hoshinomiya witnessing a feat and causing her usual trouble.

"Take a seat on the couch over there and we'll talk. Would you like a drink since I brought you all the way from your dorms?"

Showing great hospitality, Chabashira offered refreshments for her guest. Not wanting to feel rude, Kiyotaka gave his answer.

"...Do you have black coffee?"

Chabashira gave a snort at her student's question before replying.

"Of course I do. I'm a teacher who needs it alot too. That does make my life easier since I was going to make some for myself too. Just wait on the couch and I'll bring us our cups."

She left for the kitchen, leaving Kiyotaka to just sit and wait in her living room. He took a look around the room and noted it really did feel like an adults room. There were a few pictures, a small wine/alcohol container, and a bookshelf filled with books. Compared to his somewhat empty room, it felt refreshing.

Soon after, Chabashira returned from the kitchen with a tray of two mugs filled with black coffee. She lowered the tray and allowed Kiyotaka to take one of the mugs before taking the tray to her own space on the couch to sit down.

"You have a nice room, Sensei."

Not knowing how to start this meeting, Kiyotaka tried to compliment Chabashira's room after looking around it.

"Should you really be complimenting your teacher like that, Ayanokouji? But thanks either way."

Chabashira gave a short laugh, understanding what Kiyotaka was trying to do.

"You wanted to talk with me, Sensei. I'm not sure how to start the conversation if you're not going to do it yourself."

"Yes yes. You are right. Please just bear with me a moment."

She took a couple sips from her coffee before finally seeming to come up with a direction for their meeting to go.

"Let me ask you this first. What do you think about the special exam for Friday?"

Kiyotaka was expecting the conversation to lead in this direction. He wanted to give her an answer but decided it was best for now to confirm some things before doing so.

"Should you be questioning me over my thoughts for the special exam? Aren't teachers not allowed to do so?"

He understood from the announcement and Chabashira's body language this morning that there was something about the special exam that bothered her a lot. And back during the cruise ship, she showed similar actions. He deduced that she wanted to talk to him specifically about this exam probably because she knew about it alot. But he wasn't sure if he could do so.

"Technically, we are not allowed to talk about it with students. But god forbid, I'm sure every teacher except Mashima will probably try to discuss even just a little bit with their students. Chie especially will probably try."