9

I awoke with a sharp faded scream leaving my throat seconds after I gained consciousness again to realize how loud my shrills were

I awoke with a sharp faded scream leaving my throat seconds after I gained consciousness again to realize how loud my shrills were. I sat up in the sweaty sheets with beads of sweat covering my forehead, my heart pounding loudly. My body shot up in between the sweaty covers, my hands gripping them to find it's reality.

It was a nightmare.

And if I wasn't already practicing breathing exercises I would have slipped deeper into a panic attack. And the last place I needed one of those was while I was locked in a serial killers basement. But there I was, having problems keeping the oncoming attack at bay. My breathing was so shallow. I tried to press onto my chest, reminding myself this is not the time. But when your throat feels like it's closing, and the lack of oxygen mixed with the memories of your own nightmare is nipping at you it's a hard task.

It wasn't until I heard the heavy banging of small fists on the metal door of the basement pounding that I realized other girls were aware of my sleeping issue.  It was bizarre really. How quick it happened, I could have been making noise all this time. But ali was pretending to be asleep still, squinting in the dark. Rory was banging on the basement door calling for Harry.

A part of me was terrified it was going to anger him. God only knows what time it was.

In seconds the heavy steps of Harry's feet were heard from above us. And the sound of the door being unlocked triggered more nervousness from within me.

"Please sir help! S-she's yelling in her sleep! I think she can't breathe!" Rory panicked, running back towards our room. I was sitting up, lunged over slightly to control my breathing. I wiped some sweat off my skin, seeing Harry enter our room from the corner of my eye. Him being here really didn't help much. It only made my fear worse, maybe he was going to kill me for waking him.

"Go back to bed, Rory. I'll deal with her." He said, slightly annoyed she was in our room instead of her own. He watched her enter her room with resistance before he shut the bedroom door, walking over to my bed. It was surprising how calm he was, taking slow steps across the room like this was a routine for him. Something he expected to happen. He sat down on the bed and placed me on his lap, making me feel like I couldn't breathe again. I scratched at his arm, wanting to be let go.

He didn't seem fazed at all by my resistance. Adjusting his long legs, Harry let out a sigh as he placed me on his thighs, facing him. I was straddling him much to my own discomfort.

Harry gently pushed my head into his bare chest so I could feel his warmth, maybe even distract myself by his many tattoos. I felt my breathing start to slow, and I took in deep breaths since I was desperate to grasp onto my sign of life. I didn't want him here. But he was the only comfort I could have. And I eventually gave up on fighting him, knowing it was no use anymore.

"It's alright doll." He whispered. I felt his large hands slide up my T-shirt, feeling around for my areas of breathing.

After a few minutes I had calmed down a lot. It did, though I hated saying it, feel comforting having him hold me. I hated the position I was in. But the warmth of his chest seemed to make me forget slowly about who he was, why I was here, and even where I was. I traced some of his tattoos with my finger, feeling sleep slowly overcome me again.

Harry would whisper into my ear occasionally about whatever it was crossed his mind.

4am.

"Wake up!" Ali was pushing on my forearm to pull me out of my deep sleep. She seemed panicked for the first time since I had arrived, and that didn't settle well for me. I rubbed my eyes.

"What's happening?"

"I-it's Harry. He's got someone." She gulped, looking back at the doorway that was still shut. Small hints of light were peaking through the crack of the door and from the other room I could hear him telling the girls to wake up.

"Before he sees you, get up!" She whispered, quickly ushering back to her bed once she heard his voice stop. From the other room, the sounds of the girls ushering out into the hallway could be heard. There was a sense of urgency, a panic, laced in the air. It didn't seem like this was usual routine, but rather something they weren't familiar with. Perhaps this was something new Harry decided to do.

I stood up from the warm sheets, my feet planted on the floor. Harry barged in the room seconds later, seemingly pleased that we all were already up. But the look on his face was terrifying. There was small blood spatters on his hands and once my eyes caught sight of it I felt tears prick my eyes. Who's blood was that?

It was only an hour ago that Harry was here to comfort me and now he was a totally different person.

"You, out." He pointed to ali, watching her rush out of the room where some of the other girls were standing. She seemed relieved, I could see her shoulders drop slightly as she exited the room.

But as Samantha also left the room, and I was the only one left, the terrifying gut wrenching feeling returned. What exactly was he planning? Was this normal for him, why was I alone with him? Doesn't he have work in the morning?

The questions floated around my head as I stood anxiously. Harry dug in his pockets and pulled out a piece of black fabric, quickly walking over to me and putting it over my head to cover my eyes.

"Please don't do this Harry." I pleaded, my lip quivering.

"Shh now." He said, pushing me out of the dark room and into the hall. The girls eyes were felt on me as I was led up the stairs. Harry's hand was latched onto mine in a stern yet gentle way as he lead me up the steps. The basement door closed behind me. I walked straight, unsure of where it was he wanted me. Or why I was being led out in the first place.

He led me up a set of stairs, I could hear them squeak beneath my feet and could feel the fresh carpet on my toes. We walked down a short hallway before reaching another room. The door opened and when it did I felt Harry rub my shoulders slightly, almost reassuring me. It was dark in here, I could feel the blank empty void biting at my blindfold. Even though it was already dark, the darkness seemed to get worse, if that made any sort of sense.

Harry turned on a lamp for me, and I heard some shuffling before he closed and locked the door.

Then, the blindfold was tugged away and placed on the dresser. When I opened my eyes, it was hard to adjust to the light again. But the vision cleared itself and I was able to see my new surroundings.

Harry's bedroom.