3

I spent most of my night in my bed cuddled into my pillow as I thought about my life outside

I spent most of my night in my bed cuddled into my pillow as I thought about my life outside. My family flashed through my head a few times. I wondered if they were looking for me, if I had been on the news. I knew the possibility was low. I hadn't talked to my family in two years, they had never tried to reach out anyway.

Clara and Ali were in and out of the room. I didn't notice their presence unless they were talking to me. Ali told me Harry would be down soon to check up on us and spend time with us after work. I hoped she would tell him I was asleep so he would leave me alone.

During the two hours I was huddled into my bed, I tried to think of escape routes. I only knew small parts of the house. But if I was going to succeed I needed Harry gone. The best time was while he was at work since he'd be gone for quite a while which would give me time. During the day our rooms were unlocked and we were free to wander the basement. I just needed to get out of the basement and find the front door and I was ok.

"Alaia, he's coming." Clara's voice disrupted my thoughts. I shut my eyes, mumbling that I was asleep. She hesitated, but she left me and shut the door behind her. It was only a few seconds of intense silence before Harry's footsteps started coming down the basement stairs. He was wearing boots today. I could hear how heavy they were against the flooring.

The steel door opened, and small steps started coming out of each room. I could hear him greet each girl and then it was silent again.

"Where is alaia?" My body froze.

"She's sleeping sir. She's had a long day." Ali said. It took a few minutes after those words were said for my nerves to calm themselves. No one opened my door, and no one came in the room. I was relieved when I heard the sound of the tv playing and Harry's laughter start. For a while I heard sounds of chatter in the living room outside everyone's bedrooms.

I somehow knew I was the only girl in the rooms. There were too many voices outside for there to be anyone else not joining in on the 'fun'. I didn't feel alone or sad. I wanted to stay here and be left with my memories of home. They were the only thing I had besides the girls I barely knew. Even the girls, I felt couldn't be trusted. God only knows how long they had been here and probably picked up on Harry's habits.

Minutes passed, and the living room seemed quieter. I pushed my body up, the bed creaking as I did so. My feet hit the cold floor, walking up to the door which was shut. A small hint of light was peaking out from under the door. I got down on my knees, my eyes looking under the door to see the hall light on.

I stood back up, breathing in as my hand touched the cold knob. Turning it, the door opened. The sound of distinct conversations and murmur's filled my ears. When I turned the corner my feet stopped in their tracks as I laid eyes on Harry sitting on the floor, shuffling cards with Ali and Samantha. Clara was reading a book on the couch.

I thought about turning back but it was too late. Harrys head swiftly whipped around, taking the sight of me in.

"Your awake. Come play with us." He said.

I shuffled my feet as I approached the group. Ali looked up at me with pleading eyes to sit down as a I stood above the group. I tried to find a spot other than beside Harry. It was a small circle. Harry was deliberately leaving an opening right beside him which I wasn't wanting to take. But ali kept giving me the eye, and I knew it was a silent plea. Ali and Samantha were huddled close, leaving an opening between Harry. I gulped as I sat down, leaning towards Samantha.

"How was your nap, love?" Harry kissed me on my cheek, still shuffling cards. How was he still so close?

"Alright." I mumbled, hoping it didn't come off as rude to him. He smiled, placing the cards in the middle.

"Alright girls, Ali will go first and the circle will go around." Harry instructed as Ali's hand reached out to the pile. Harry watched intently as she looked at the back of the card and smirked to herself. Clara went next.

The game went around for a while and my shaking hands were holding my pile of cards as I paid close attention to the game. My bets were on Harry winning. But Ali ended up winning and much to my surprise Harry wasn't angry about that. In fact, he offered another round.

Ali shuffled the cards this time since she was the winner.

"Alaia, what are your bets on?" She asked.

It was incredible to me how they all could act normal. Like this was a fun game at a get together for Christmas or something, but in reality we were in a crazy kidnappers house trapped in his basement. I was sure Ali was just putting on a poker face for Harry though, maybe to save his feelings from an outburst that Ali said he tended to have.

I copied this poker face act, shrugging my shoulders.

"I think I'll win this time."

Clara giggled. She grabbed a card once Ali placed them in the middle.

Harry stayed quite but he looked happy, from the small glimpse I gained the courage to look at.

I adjusted my position in the floor to huddle my knees before grabbing a card from the pile. I flipped it over, examining my card. Harry went next and then Ali did before Harry and Clara placed the same card from their deck in the middle.

"1 to 1 so far." Ali said, pulling a card.

Harry got up suddenly, excusing himself from the game. He went upstairs and shut the metal door behind him, leaving us downstairs. My eyebrows furrowed.

"He went to the bathroom, it's alright." Ali chuckled.

"Let's keep playing." Clara urged, grabbing a card. I grabbed one and then Ali grabbed one. We skipped over Harry while he was gone since he couldn't participate for the next round. Ali and Clara matched a card, so now the score was higher for Ali. I licked my lips, keeping eye contact with Ali as I grabbed a card from the deck.

She watched me turn it over before I smirked, placing the card down on the floor. " aces."

Her mouth hung open, watching the card on the floor. "I win." I said. I felt a smile creep up onto my face as I looked at her expression. She immediately demanded another round, grabbing the deck to shuffle. I placed my old deck aside and clapped for myself.

I watched Ali and Clara shuffle the cards for a few moments as I hugged my knees. The floor was so cold, and I hadn't noticed how uncomfortable it was getting until small red marks were engraved into my legs and thighs. My legs formed goosebumps. I rubbed my palms over my upper thigh then grabbed a card from the fresh deck.

Harry joined back in once he was out of the restroom, sitting beside me again. I noticed my body tense back up, feeling uncomfortable from his presence. My heart suddenly sank from the disappointment of ruining my good mood.

Our game lasted a while. It seemed, Ali and Clara were used to staying up late to play games with Harry to keep him occupied. This must have been what they meant by him spending time with us. But, it was a lot of time. I underestimated how uncomfortable it would be sitting for so long on a cold floor.

"Do you have a blanket somewhere down here?" I asked Clara. She shook her head, grabbing a card from the deck.

"Harry is pretty warm though." She blushed, glancing over at me. No way was I going to do what she was initiating.

"I'd rather freeze." I whispered, huddling back into my knees.