Chapter 8: Let a Song Into a Heart

Author's Notes: 

*Waves* Hi! Apparently, I got my inspiration back enough to finish up this chapter since I recently got into reading about the Black brothers again. After like 4 years... I apologize for the hiatus. I knew I would eventually come back to this since this story was very dear to my heart. On another note, I've graduated from uni now! I do plan on going back in the story to fix and revise some stuff since I started this fic back in 2016. I will have a significantly better plan on where I want this story to go in the next update hopefully.

.ooOOOoo.

"You know? It's moments like these when I realize that we are getting too old for this." Sirius snorted at James' attempt at a joke.

Currently, both adult wizards are hunched together under the invisible cloak on top of a sturdy branch. For extra coverage, even though Sirius believed that they did not need it, they hid behind a large cluster of branches with rich, dark leaves sprouting seemingly across them. The leaves only allowed a minimum view over a clearing of an elegant gate that stabbed the ground it stood. The sharp fence seems to have extended for miles towards the horizons from both sides as they jagged out with deadly points.

Behind the fencing laid grand black stone marbles with each one attempting to outshine one another. Some with elaborate designs surrounding the outer edges. Others with statues depicting some of the Black wizards' or witches' in their feats of glory. The older tombs are preserved well with charms that keep the dark marbles glistening ominously. There were more, but Sirius could care less about his dead ancestors' overly large egos.

He knew all about each of these graves considering his morbid parents' tours. The so-called field trips were meant to recall the history of his past which took place at the Black Family's Cemetery also known as the Nightingale Cemetery. During those trips, Regulus stucked close by Sirius. The dead happened to cause Regulus to be jumpier than his typical frightful self at the time. Sirius felt he had to put on a brave face for his little brother. However, the air that permeated the area always felt heavy to young Sirius.

Knowing it was Regulus' turn to join his deceased family's ranks made the air weigh infinitely more. It was the kind of pressure that would not let up. Somehow the weight increased the longer Sirius sat watching the proceedings. At a distance, Sirius recognized every single face that attended the funeral. However, two faces stood out the most to him.

A man and a woman.

A father and a mother.

His father and his mother.

Regulus' father and Regulus' mother.

Orion and Walburga.

Sirius had not seen his parents ever since he left his childhood home behind and never looked back. It was difficult to recall when he last saw his father face to face. In the weeks leading up to Sirius fleeing Grimmauld Place, Orion would often lock himself in his study. And the times his father had looked at Sirius in the eyes, it felt like looking at a stonewall as if Sirius wasn't worth any of his time. As if he was a failure of a son. Sirius could not bear to look at those eyes so he would turn anyway first. His mother was the complete opposite when she looked at their son. Walburga took the form of a dragon in Sirius' eyes. Every single mistake she had claimed he had made, she would do nothing but beareth him. Though Sirius would battle against the dragon. The arguments between mother and son are the kind that would constantly be echoed throughout Grimmauld Place non-stop. Fights between like an unstoppable force and an immovable object that shook the Black ancestral home.

Sirius had locked the memories of his parents and threw away the key immediately once his foot left the threshold of Grimmauld Place. Seeing them once again broke that lock so all Sirius could do is stare at his parents. The parents in his memories transformed the ones seated at the front row of the proceedings. From the angle that Sirius sat, he could not see their faces, but he immediately recognized their silhouettes. What Sirius can see was the face of his paternal grandfather and head of the Noble House of Black, Arcturus Black. The old man stood in front of the entire Black family speaking. At the distance, Sirius was he could not clearly hear his grandfather's words which were fine by Sirius. He did not want to hear whatever emotionless eulogy coming from his family for his younger brother. Eventually, after his grandfather stopped speaking he motioned at his father who began to make his way to the front.