Those Remington Boys

Belle Crossing lies in the heart of Louisiana's bayou country, nestled among the swamps and framed in bald cypresses. Blink and you just might miss it. But if you bother to stop by and sit a spell? The locals can tell you tales the likes of which are sure to put you ill-at-ease and fearful of things that go bump in the night. Things you stopped being afraid of as an adult, never realizing that maybe the monster under the bed really exists. And if the fine people of Belle Crossing relax enough in conversation, you may just find yourself lucky enough to hear all about the Remington family. They'll certainly tell you how gallantly handsome those Remington boys are, how strikingly lovely the Remington girls are. But if you're luckier still, you may just learn of how they've been keeping the bayou safe from hell's forces for centuries.

The Remington's are old money; a well-to-do family that occupies the aging plantation on the edge of the town, just off of Egret Lane. The plantation is an endless source of stories and local legends; everyone in Belle Crossing knows that the Remington's have slayed no shortage of demons and guard more arcane artifacts than you can shake a stick at. As such, they respect the family, especially the current occupants of Remington Plantation- Julian Remington and his wife, Clarice. The man's getting up there in years, but you won't hear a soul hold that against him. He survived his two older siblings, fellow hunters of the forces of darkness. Belle Crossing is rife with legends of their exploits, just as it is of their parents and those before them, stretching back through the centuries. Julian, in the eyes of the people, represents the summation of his kind.

Julian stands at his balcony, keen eyes scanning the bayou as night settled in and gave the land a big French kiss. He stood there as he always did this time of the evening. Sometimes he was simply admiring the land of his people, other times he was searching the dark shadows for something darker. Other times, still, he was remembering. Tonight he's waiting expectantly. "Come on, boys. Where the hell are you?" He whispers.

Then, like a spell has been cast, headlights appear in the distance. The car turns off of Egret Lane and follows the long drive up through the trees until it reaches the front of the plantation. Julian smiles when the driver steps out. His chest tightens with emotion at the sight of the young man.

"Looks just like his daddy," the old man says to himself. And it's true. Like his father before him, the young man has a full head of rich blond hair and a tall, athletic build. He walks like his dad did too, with a sort of easy confidence in every step he takes. Though he's not close enough and it's too dark now, he can envision the boy's face with ease. He's got his dad's features- strong chin, high cheekbones, and soulful blue eyes that convey the sort of wisdom one should usually acquires with age.

Julian steps back into the air conditioning and leaves his bedroom for the stairs. By the time he reaches the foyer, the boy is already being let in by Theodore, the same man who's served as the butler to the Remington family for decades.

"Master Ryder, sir," Theodore says with a respectful little bow.

Ryder beams at his uncle and hurries to him for a big hug. "It's good to see you again, Uncle Julian."

Julian grins, holds his nephew by the shoulders and steps back. "Let me have a look at you." His smile is a mixture of cheer and sorrow, for staring at Ryder's face is simultaneously like having his brother back as well as being reminded that he's long dead.

"I haven't changed all that much," Ryder says with a nonchalant air.

"You've put on at least a few pounds of muscle. And I see you've lost your accent!" Julian accuses.

"Oh, it'll come back the longer I'm here," Ryder replies, the southern twang infiltrating his words.

"I hope you'll stay a while?"