twenty-six

( season four: episode nine: the piggyback )

NELL DRAGS A BARSTOOL from Eddie's tiny kitchen counter over under the gate. She turns to Dustin. "You stay here. Do you understand?" He begins to protest, and she holds his shoulders.

"Are you goddamn crazy? I—"

"Dustin." Nell looks him in the eye, and she needs him to see how serious she is. "I know we joke around a lot, but I am not being funny. You need to stay here. Do you understand?"

He nods, and Nell climbs up onto the chair. She knows if she can just make it far enough through, gravity will get her to the other side.

Nell jumps, fingers slipping and sliding over the vines that outline the gate. She manages to get her feet up, worrying that taking too long will mean losing her grip.

However, gravity carries her through, landing her flat on her back on the other side. Eddie had moved the mattress. Nell gasps, coughing. Her shoulder stings where the bats have clawed her, and her knee feels funny.

Get up.

Somehow, she forces herself off the floor, snatching up the gun from its spot near the floorboards. "This is so stupid," she hears her brother shout, and she looks up one last time. "Stay there, Dustin. I mean it! I love you!"

Nell runs towards the open door, slamming it shut behind her. She can hear the bats, but she can't see them. However, it seems like they can see her.

She swings at a few that come down, but they soon head away leaving only a cut on her cheek. Her eyes follow the creatures, heading for a swarm.

Eddie.

Nell takes off towards the far end of the trailer park, her heart nearly beating out of her chest. She wonders, what could have possibly possessed him not to climb up that rope.

They were so close, seconds more and he would've been through the gate, safe on the other side with Dustin. With Nell. She wouldn't be chasing after him right now wondering, if something happened, would she be fast enough to save him?

APRIL, 1984

"Can I hide in here?"

Nell looks up from the cart of books she's shelving. "Can you what?" Eddie stands before her, looking back into the hallway. "Can I hide in here?" He checks the library, no sign of the librarian.

She gives him a look. "Why?" He sighs. "I made the grave mistake of insulting Jason." Eddie rolls his eyes, making a flourish with his hands. Nell raises an eyebrow. "Carver? The basketball boy? What'd you say?"

He grins. "I may or may have not insulted slash embarrassed him in front of his girlfriend." She tilts her head. "He has a girlfriend?" Eddie nods, taking matters into his own hands and joining Nell behind the desk.

"Chrissy Cunningham. You didn't know?" She shakes her head. "I haven't spoken to her since freshman year." He looks confused. "You we're friends with Chrissy?"

She shrugs. "I was on the cheer team. She's the nicest girl there." Footsteps echo down the hall, and Eddie ducks under the desk as Jason and three other boys peek into the library.

"Nell, right?"

She nods. "Mrs. Hartford's on her lunch break. Library's closed." Jason nods. "Great." He gives her what Nell thinks must aim to be a charismatic smile, and leans in. "Did you happen to see anyone run down the hall at all?"