one

9 MONTHS AGO
JULY, 1985

THE MOVING TRUCK KICKS dirt up as what's left of the group catches their last glances of Will, El, and Jonathan. Indiana summer sun blankets the driveway, but nothing about the moment feels warm.

Nancy Wheeler sighs, and leans on Nell. "This is... odd. They've lived here forever."

Nell shakes her head. "I know," she crosses her arms tightly, as if it would provide any comfort. Dustin kicks at the dirt.

"This was a shit last summer."

Nell nods in agreement. It had been a shit last summer, perhaps the shittiest. It was never intended to be this way either. She feels for Will, leaving behind his only home.

With Hopper and Billy dead and half the population of the town turned to mush, Nell would rather be just about anywhere but Hawkins. She looks at what's left of her friends and their siblings.

Nancy, hand rested comfortingly on Mikes shoulder. Dustin, standing moodily by Lucas's side. Lucas, taking Max's hand and Nell, watching the dust settle in the wake of what feels like pure abandonment to all of them. 

The six of them walk back to the Wheeler's in silence.

Nell withdraws for the rest of summer '85, sticking to a small list of familiar places. At first, she tries calling Eddie. Talking to Eddie makes everything better. But the phone rings relentlessly on dial tone, and after exactly twenty-two days, she stops calling.

After days of walking around Hawkins in silence, or occasionally swimming alone in Lovers Lake, Steve tells her she needs a job.

"I've barely seen you all summer, Nell. I know that you need to get out of your own head."

Nell agrees. She needs something to keep her mind busy, to stop it from running in circles. She gets a job at the very familiar record store next to Family Video, and spends the remainder of her summer working long shifts. Though sifting through used vinyls and stacking cassette tapes isn't difficult, it's enough to shift her focus from the events of July.

In fact, the events of the past two years. Not to mention why her best friend had completely shut her out. Many nights are spent awake thinking of what she could have possibly done wrong.

Time keeps moving, however slow. And as it does, nightmares die down. When the September chill sets in around Hawkins, and school begins, she starts studying with Robin almost every night. By the time January rolls around, Nell sleeps alright most nights.

Sometimes she sees Eddie in the hallway. Part of her thinks maybe it's for the better, she'd rather not get him involved in any of this. But most of her misses her friend.

Nell will never tell him that, nor will she do anything about it. He's made it clear what he wants, and she's learning to let things lie.

notes:
kind of hate this but wtv just a bit of backstory.  nell's real story + involvement starts next chapter with the beginning of s4!