Chapter 7: The Mysterious Black Eagle Student

[1180 Imperial Year, 1st of Harpstring Moon]

"Our mission for this month is to wipe out a group of bandits. At the moment we don't have their location, but the Knights of Seiros are kind to figure that out for us. In a couple of weeks, we will have a training session with the knights. Any questions?" Dimitri informed.

Earlier today, the Professor and Dimitri learned of the monthly mission. Apparently that strange archbishop actually expects students to go on dangerous missions every month. You cannot imagine how much pressure the Professor must be in.

"By wipe out...do you mean kill them?" Annette asked with a hint of concern in her voice.

"Yes. I am aware most of you have never actually killed someone before. I advise you take as much time to mentally prepare as possible."

Killing? So the Knights want the students to do their dirty work? Interesting. Why would they want a bunch of students to take out some group of bandits? What is the purpose of this place?

It was obvious some students showed discomfort with the idea, but you were indifferent. Killing was something you were familiar with. You did it back in Dagda and the Adrestian Empire. You would not mind doing it again as long as it secured your safety.

"When will we be training with the Knights of Seiros?" Ashe nervously asked.

"Unfortunately the archbishop is still deciding, but confirmed it will be on a Sunday. We will let you know as soon as possible." Byleth answered, "Class has officially ended. You all are dismissed for today."

Whispers seeped among the students as the Professor left the room. You quietly grabbed your book and began to leave the classroom. Studying was going to need to be a priority due to an upcoming test.

"Y/N!" Sylvain called out.

You turned your attention to him, but felt frustrated. He made you angry the other day with his stupid comments. Honestly you were not entirely sure why you were so furious about the comments. It was childish indeed, but you need some time to think some things through.

He quickly tapped your shoulder and quietly apologized, "I know you are angry with me and I am super sorry."

"It's fine. I haven't felt like myself lately. I think I just need some time to myself for the next couple days."

"Are you sure? Is there any way I can make I up to you? I still feel really bad about what I said. I shouldn't have joked like that when I knew you did not like that topic."

You opened your mouth but paused. Initially you were just going to let it go, but perhaps you could get something useful out this. Sylvain did purpose the idea of making it up to you.

"Training. Let us do some training on Sunday. I'm rusty with a lance and I feel the need to practice with another lance user." You replied.

"Alright. Sounds good to me." He smiled.

"Noon. Don't be late." You informed, walking out the classroom.

~•~

[1180 Imperial Year, 4th of Harpstring Moon]

A salty drop of sweat rolled down the side of your face as you placed the wooden lance on the weapon rack. Heavy breaths left your lips as you watched your training companion do the same. Poor Sylvain looked like he might pass out.

"That was way too much training!" Sylvain complained, "Everything is going to hurt in the morning!"

"That was the right amount. You obviously need to back into the swing of things." You retorted.