Loss was the perfect word to explain what he was feeling. That, and perhaps, regret? Envy?

"Who is the father?" He questioned, gulping down a lump that had started to grow at the back of his throat as soon as he realized what the bundle situated in her arms was.

"He is from the mortal realm," she answered slowly, unsure of what his reaction was to be. A flash of guilt overcame the feminine features of her face. "However, he is not actually human. He is the Alpha of the Ventus pack, a very powerful one, in members and status. Živa helped me, of course, as there would be no other way."

"I thought that they could only be with their mates." Morpheus' dark eyebrows pulled together, and he ran a hand loosely through his black hair. Pausing, before his next words, "They go mad without them, don't they? Živa brags about how devoted they are to each other. She claims them as being her greatest pairings of love, because of how they do not falter in their relationships with the bond."

Images flashed before him, as though he was dreaming himself. Memories from when Dalnim had first created her beloved creatures had distracted him for just a moment. She had moulded them into beings of strength and resilience. They were the most prosperous and promising, since they respected everything that breathed and took care of the land they lived on. In return for their adoration, Dalnim proposed a request to Živa, which was to offer them true soulmates. And, being the Goddess of all things love, she happily obliged.

At least, that's how the story goes.

Dalnim could clearly tell that Morpheus was not paying attention, as his face was glossed over and his eyebrows were now lifted almost to the sky. And so, she waited patiently, as she would usually do.

This had only lasted a few minutes, and when he was done, she explained, "I know, which is why I needed her again. King, his father, has never found his mate. The bond between them will never be fulfilled, it is not possible. I can assure you that, because his mate had been dead years before he could even sense his own wolf."

Morpheus knew enough about werewolves and their lives. After all, he was with their Goddess for every step of the way. At Dalnim's request, beginning at the very first werewolf to be created, he had started to plant dreams into their heads. And, more often than not, the main feature of their sleeping habits would always be their mate, whether they had already met them or if they were anticipating the day they would.

"Oh," he sighed. And, he spoke a silent reminder, 'you did not want children, not at all'. "That is understandable. I am sure he must have also wanted a child. But, Dalnim, are you not afraid?"

She smiled, huffing slightly, politely, as she waved the mention of fear away. "No, no, no. There is not a single bone in my body, nor a gut feeling, that tells me he is an unsafe father for our son."

"You must know how feral they can become by now, especially without a mate. And, an Alpha? Even I have seen your werewolves turn animalistic at the mere thought of never being with their mate. It is a common nightmare." Worry etched itself onto his face, and his hands instinctively reached out to clasp hers in a tight grip, but he immediately retracted at catching another glimpse of the baby occupying her attention.

"Dipping into nightmares, are you?" She joked, carefree as she laughed at him, but he could barely fake a smile.

"Oh, no. No. Nope. I am not going down that path. I will forever let my brother deal with that, and I am more than confident when I say that he definitely enjoys his job." Morpheus turned his head, frowning playfully. The way her face brightened nearly made his knees give out. "But, you know that."

A faint whine slipped past the lips of the infant, and Dalnim slipped the thin sleeve of her dress back over her shoulder. Her hand gently caressed the side of the boy's face, the natural tan of his skin being a significant contrast against the glimmering, pale shade of her own. Her loving actions hidden beneath the fabric he was wrapped in, covering the young child's face from everyone but his mother.

Dalnim looked up, her expression still one of awe at the sight of her devotion. "Would you like to hold him?"

"Babies are not much of my strong suit, and I cannot imagine them ever being so. They do not do much for sleep. And, their dreams are mostly bland. Voices, shapes, colours, and what not. Just basic stuff, really." Dalnim could not tell if he was trying to convince her, or himself.

"Here," she placed the baby in his arms while he stared wide-eyed at her, shaking his head. As soon as the baby was comfortable in his hold, Morpheus stood painfully still, frightened. Until, her son peeked up at him with a squished smile, and he memorized the baby's face, right then and there.

"His name is Morpheus. After you."

W O R D C O U N T : 1600

I like these the most.

An extra about Dalnim and Morph. This is technically genuine to the story, but it is a one-shot of sorts.

All my love! 💕