Cakes Not Meant To Be Watery

13:44pm

Jiwoo, Kayden and Kartein were going to bake, as a group.

It was a suggestion proposed by the teenager, naturally. The two adults weren't going to want to spend any more time together than was necessary. But both men had a mutual interest in keeping Jiwoo happy, so when he waddled home one day and said: "Let's all bake!", it was decided that baking is what they shall do.

Just buying the ingredients was almost catastrophic. Jiwoo held the list, whilst Kayden shoved Kartein in the trolley and sprinted down the aisle with a broad smile. Once they left the store, Kayden had a black eye, Kartein's hair was poking up north, south, east and west, whereas Jiwoo held the bag, perfectly content.

"So, now we've got the ingredients, shall we start?" Jiwoo laid everything out on the table for the two men to see. Neither looked remotely happy.

"...Yes" The men collectively replied, throwing each other glances that tried to communicate something along the lines of: "I'll kill you if you screw this up!"

Jiwoo grabbed the recipe book and read it through on his own once, before repeating it aloud to his fellow bakers.

"This is how we make chocolate cake!"

"Chocolate cake? Don't you mean chocolate cupcakes?" Kartein corrected.

"I changed my mind. We'll make a really big cake!" Jiwoo spread his arms out as wide as they could go to demonstrate how big he planned to make the cake. It more than likely wasn't going to be that huge, but, if they managed to make it to at least 1/10 of that size then it would be a job well done.

"Mr Kartein, could you please heat the oven? Mr Kayden, grab the thing with the small holes" The teenager wiggled his hand, trying to think of the word that was just on the tip of his tongue.

"A siv?"

"Yes"

Meanwhile, Jiwoo placed small chunks of butter into the cake tin he planned to pour the mixture into later on, and he pressed it against the walls. This would make it easier to remove the baked cake after it was finished in the oven.

"Okay, done?"
The two men nodded.

Jiwoo passed Kayden a large blue bowl.

"Mix 200g golden caster sugar, 200g softened unsalted butter, 4 large eggs, 200g self-raising flour, 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, a tiny bit of vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of milk and a pinch of salt until it's light in color"

"That's a lot to remember..." Kayden murmured, exasperated.

"I already said all that before. Plus, it's written down. You can remember!" Jiwoo grinned.

Ever so slightly irritated, Kayden did as was ordered to the best of his non baker ability. Which was poorly. Thankfully, Kartein measured the ingredients out exactly for him, whilst Jiwoo hopped around excitedly observing.

"What if there's leftover cake mix in the bowl after we've got most of it in the tin?" Jiwoo asked, raising his eyebrow as he invaded Kaydens space. With his chin practically resting on the man's shoulder, he stared at the bowl as if he knew what he wanted to do with the leftovers. Both men guessed this.

"You can eat it if you want" Kayden wiggled his body a little, hinting Jiwoo to get out of his way so he could more efficiently stir the mix.

"If you get salmonella, it's not my problem. You'll just have to die" Kartein said in his usual matter-of-fact manner.

"Worth it though" With a shrug, Jiwoo waddled off to find the best spoon possible to scoop up his soon to be meal.

"Salmonella death is rare, so if Jiwoo were to die he'd be very special" Kayden found any excuse to refute Karteins words. He had no idea how common salmonella death was, but so long as it opposed Kartein he'd tell whatever lie needed to be told.