Chapter 13 - Reality is Better Than Fiction

Slowly, their relationship returned. Time spent laughing on the bus led to Lena accepting invitations to go out with Kara and her friends. Winn, in particular, hit it off with Lena. The way the duo would geek out about engineering almost made Kara jealous, denoted to third wheel status in the budding friendship. If Kara was the third wheel, James was the fourth.

"She likes you. You see that, right?" James asked.

It was a lovely night, the sun not long set and the air still warm enough to make a post-movie stroll with ice cream cones appropriate. Lena and Winn walked further behind, and every block or so, Kara and James would stop and look out across the ocean as they waited for their shorter friends to catch up.

"You should tell her how you feel. What's the worst thing that could happen?"

What was the worst thing that could happen if she told the girl she was crushing on that they had an imaginary relationship for several months? At least Lena being back in her life was keeping Nia busy.

"There are things about me that Lena doesn't know, that she probably won't like. If we're just friends, then keeping those things from her doesn't feel so much like a lie." Kara shrugged. "Does that make sense?"

"Yeah, relationships are hard," James admitted. Laughter erupted from behind them as Winn and Lena grew nearer. "With the right person, it's worth it."

"Kara, James, we need you to settle a debate about the greatest inventor in the 19th century," Winn said.

"Hard pass," James replied.

"But James—"

"No, I'm not falling into that trap again. I ended up sleeping on the couch when I made the wrong choice in the Tesla versus Edison debate. I'm out."

Winn grumbled, and Lena stepped forward, sliding a hand through the crook of Kara's arm. Just like every time they touched, Kara's heart jumped at the confirmation that this wasn't all in her mind.

"It wouldn't matter anyway," Lena said. "You and James are practically married, so he has to take your side, and Kara would take my side, wouldn't you?"

"Always," Kara agreed, not even trying to keep the smile off her face. "You're always right, so why would I side with the loser?"

"Loser?" Winn grasped his chest dramatically and swayed. "Kara, how could you do that to your best friend?"

"The truth hurts."

Too soon, they reached James' car and the end of the night.

"I think I'm going to walk home," Lena said.

"You sure?" James asked. "We don't mind giving you a lift."

"Since spending time with Kara, my eating habits have taken a turn for the worse. Not all of us can eat half a pizza, fries, popcorn, and ice cream and still look gorgeous. I'll walk."

"I'll walk with you," Kara said, nodding at James' wink. "Alex always says that one day, my metabolism will slow down. Anyway, exercise won't hurt me."

They bid the boys farewell and continued on their way. Lena's apartment was only a few blocks away, and Alex had offered Kara a ride if she ended up stranded out after the buses stopped running.

They were most of the way back to Lena's apartment when she asked, "If Winn's your best friend, what am I?"

"Oh. Um... my other best friend?"

"I like that," Lena said, and she stopped, her gaze lingering on the rolling waves along the nearby beach. "Is that what you want, to be my friend?"

"Of course."