Chap. 23

A plate of hospital food was before me. I sighed and pushed it away with my good arm. l loved food, but hospital food looked worse than prison gravy.

Suddenly, Sarah appeared with a glazed donut from Krispy Kreme, and a vanilla bean frap from Starbucks. She was like an angel sent from heaven.

"Hey, I figured you'd rather carb load than eat that." She said, gesturing to my plate of disgusting hospital food.

"You're a saint."

"I know." She said as she handed me my food.

"Close the door." I said in–between sips.

She did so, pulled up a chair, and sat beside my bed. "What's up?"

"Have you seen 'If I Stay'?" I questioned.

"Yeah, why?"

"Y'know how the girl's unconscious but there's like another her that no one can see or hear?"

She nodded, seeming unsure.

"Well, that happened to me."

"Shut up." She said, as if it were a joke. It was clear she did not believe me.

"Sarah, I swear. You even told me about the semi–finals. You told me about how their doing a number in my honor and that you chose the song. You told me we're the dynamic duet!"

"Oh my God, that's so freaky!" She screamed.

"Shush!"

"Sorry."

"Anyways, Dana came in and he sung me a song that he wrote."

"Aww!"

I rolled my eyes, "It was called 'Leave Your Lover'." I said with a dead serious face.

"Oh."

"I'm not done."

"There's more?"

"He told me that it killed him to see me with Cole every day, that he loved me. He said I'm the first girl he's ever loved."

Sarah was speechless, just like I was.

I continued, "Remember the text he said was for Amanda?"

She nodded.

"It was for me." I finally said.

"Do you love Dana?"

"I like Dana, I love Cole."

"Well, what are you gonna do?"

"I have no freaking idea."

~*~

"Dammit!" Screamed Cole, as a Cowboys vs. 49ers game played on the TV in my hospital room.

"You really expected them to win?" I asked as I flipped through my Seventeen Magazine.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Because they suck?"

"Oh, and the patriots are so good!" He said sarcastically.

"They did win the Super Bowl." I answered with a mischievous smirk.

He rolled his eyes and continued to pay his attention to the TV.

"Was there an accident?" I blurted out.

Cole faced me, clearly taken by surprise. Just as he was about to answer, Dr. Michaels came in.

"Hey, Marley." He said with a notepad, "How are you feeling?"

"I have a light headache and my arm hurts a little. But, other than that, I feel fine."