𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

Henderson Residence - 4:00 PM - Monday

Will's POV

Will parked his bike in the driveway of the Henderson's house and went up to the door. He had been thinking about his "encounter" with Mike earlier that day. Was he looking at Will on purpose, or did his eyes just happen to rest on him? Will pushed the thoughts away. Now it was time to forget about that and just spend time with Dustin. All that mattered right now was having fun with his best friend. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door, ready to read comics and relax with Dustin.

"Hey there Will! Come on in, sweetie, Dustin's just in his room!" Dustin's mom greeted him at the door, Mews the cat cradled in her arms. Will smiled and nodded at her and made his way to Dustin's room. As he walked in, he noticed comics sprawled out on Dustin's bed, while Dustin was feeding his turtle, Yertle.

"Will! There you are, I was starting to think you forgot about me, dude, you're almost an hour late." Dustin grinned at Will, shutting his turtle's tank. Will apologized for being late and walked over to Dustin's bed, picking up a comic that looked unfamiliar. 

"So, is this the new one you got? Pretty cool." Will commented as he flipped through it.

"Yeah... About that. I didn't get a new comic. That was just an excuse to get you to come over." Dustin sat on the bed next to Will after pushing a few comics out of the way. Will gave him a puzzled look. "See, there's a basketball game today, and I wanted you to go with me! It'll be fun, just you and me, yeah?" 

"I- Dustin, why didn't you just tell me? I would have said yes." Will smiled at the idea. Sounds fun. Maybe he'll make a friend there. Dustin grinned at his response and went out to tell his mom where they were going.

⁎⁎⁎

Will and Dustin climbed out of Dustin's mom's car, thanking her for the ride as the climbed over each other, laughing as they both scrambled to escape the hot car. As the car sped away, a thought hit Will. 

Mike. Mike would be here, he was the star player of the Tigers. Will froze, suddenly regretting saying yes. He didn't know why he was so scared of encountering Mike. He made Will feel nervous, and unimportant. He made Will feel so insignificant, like he didn't matter. The only thing that mattered when Mike was around was exactly that- Mike himself. He was an idol at the school. Everyone wanted to either be with him or be him, no in between. And right now, Will didn't know which side he was on.

Wait. That's crazy! Obviously he wants to be Mike, right? He wasn't into Mike, at least, not that way.

"Will, you good, bro?" Dustin's hand was resting on Will's shoulder. "Dude, you're like, super pale. I can just call my mom if you aren't feeling good." Will shook his head.

"I'm fine, just.. A little cold. Lets go inside." Will couldn't bear to tell Dustin what the real problem was. He would probably call Will weird, and maybe not even want to be friends with him. Will couldn't risk that. The only friend he had other than Dustin was his brother Jonathan. Will followed Dustin into the gym, feeling lightheaded and nervous, like something was about to go terribly wrong. They took their seats in the bleachers near the front and watched as the basketball boys did their stretches before the game, chatting about comics and school, but Will still had one thought on his mind and one thought only. 

Mike Wheeler.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about how short this chapter is, the next two will be MUCH longer, and I'm gonna try to make all the upcoming chapters longer in general, but thank you so much to the one person thats been commenting on every part, your support means a lot to me <3

Word count: 666 (spooky)