Chapter 2

I looked around and realized I was all alone, perfect. I started running as fast as I could. Another one of the perks of being a vampire, you have incredible speed. We go too fast for humans to even notice we were there. It was a rainy day, I went through my wet hair with my hand, closing my eyes, trying to block everything out.

While I was walking through the woods, I felt branches creaking under my weight, I could smell the moss, the wood, it was an explosion of aromas. I took a deep breath, filling my longs with the fresh, cool air. But then I smelled it. Something out of place, that didn't belonged in the middle of the woods. It was a delicious smell that drove me crazy. Blood. I looked around, trying to trace where it came from. Out of the corners of my eye I saw marks of blood on a branch about 50 meters from where I stood. I was there in a blink; I inhaled the smell, touched it with my fingertips and put them in my mouth. The taste made me go numb, I hadn’t drunk in days, only those disgusting blood bags. It was fresh and I knew it belonged to a girl. Did she get hurt? What was she doing in the woods in the middle of the night? I noticed a trail of blood a bit further, she clearly lost a lot of it, and must be very weak... An easy prey I thought with a smile.

I was at the end of the trail in no time, but I didn’t see the girl anywhere. The smell had disappeared, like it never really existed. But then I saw her, she was sitting on a branch high up a tree. I wondered how she even managed to climb so high, if she lost so much of blood. I tried to make no sound and jumped on a higher branch so I could get a better look at my meal. She was wearing a pair of skinny jeans, converse, and a blue sweater. I got overwhelmed by the smell, much stronger now, and then I saw where it came from. Her right shoulder was bleeding immensely; there was a huge gap in her sweater, it looked like a wild animal jumped her and bit her.

I felt angry, outrageous. Wait, why did I even felt that way? This girl doesn’t mean anything to me, she’s a human and I don’t even know her. Since when did I start feeling and caring? I should just feed from her right here, right now. But something was holding me back. I felt an unexplainable strong connection with the girl in the blue sweater.

I climbed down, so I was sitting on the same branch as her. I brushed her hair out of her eyes and ran my finger along the edge of her face. Suddenly I jumped up. I could have sworn that I saw some kind of flicker of light at the spot where I touched her just a second ago. I came closer, and ran my fingers through her hair again, my eyes didn’t deceive me. At every touch, I saw something that looked like golden sparks. I didn’t understand what was happening, I had so many questions. This girl was a mystery to me.  But about one thing I was sure, I had to bring the girl in the blue sweater to safety no matter what.