Chapter 40 (Part 1 of 2)

Start from the beginning

No. I have to be strong. I can't cry. My mother and sisters still need me. I need to be the one who they can get strength from. Hindi pwedeng lahat kami ay panghihinaan ng loob.

Since then, I never let anyone feel what I felt.As long as I can comfort them, I will do it without even thinking twice. Ayaw kong maranasan nilang mag-isa sila, na walang tumutulong sa kanila.

If they need help, I can be the one who will help them. If they're feeling weak, I can be their strength. Because no one was there for me when I needed it the most.

My brows furrowed as I stared at the woman who was leaning on my shoulders. Despite the loud background music banging in my ears, I stayed focused, studying her features.

I've seen her before.

My heart beat faster upon realizing where I saw her from. My father's wallet. She had a picture in it when I saw it from his belongings.

Mabilis akong napatigil sa pagtitig sa kanya at napatingin sa babaeng dumating. Right. Her friend, Imogen.

Just like what I've always used to do, I helped them when I saw Imogen struggling. I was a bit worried that they might've thought of me as a creepy man, but she trusted me enough to even let me drop them off at her condo.

The desire within me to approach Nica was so strong. Maybe it was the kindness in me, or maybe... guilt that she might still not know what really happened to her father. Whatever it was, it pushed me to investigate more on her.

"Mom, our father had other kids, right?" dahan-dahan kong tanong sa nanay kong nakaupo sa harap ng lamesa.

Her forehead creased as she gave me a look, questioning me why I was suddenly so curious about our father's other families. It was a sensitive topic to all of us, especially to my mother.

It has already been four years since our father died. We can't just keep on ignoring it, or else, others will suffer. They should at least know what's the truth. They deserve nothing but the truth.

Four years have passed, and we had zero communication with any of his other children, even his other wives.

"Mom, we can't keep avoiding this topic. I saw one of them," makahulugan kong saad. My mother's eyes widened upon hearing me.

"You saw one of them? H-How?"

"I saw her picture once, in one of father's wallet. I recognized her from that," I quickly answered.

Even without my mother's permission to approach her, I did what I thought was the best. I can't sleep at night, knowing that one of my half-siblings may be suffering inside. My guilt could no longer take it.

But, I never knew that approaching my half sister would make me even closer to a woman I never thought I would be interested in.

The first time I heard about her from Imogen in the bar, she had a boyfriend. But, the second time I was with her, she was screaming her whole heart out, cursing her abusive ex.

So, they already broke up? And, it looked like it was a toxic relationship. Shouldn't she be glad that she's already out in that kind of relationship?

I stared at her for a few minutes, still lowkey listening to her rants. She's made quite an impression on me. I would never forget what she said to me in the bar.

The first time we met, she was shouting at me.

"Kuya, masyado kayong maingay! Masakit sa ulo, masakit sa ulo!"

Ah, those lines stuck with me. She was quite funny.

I wasn't wrong when I thought of her as an easy-going and bubbly person. Kulang na lamang ay sabihin ko agad ang rason sa kanya kung bakit kami nagkikita ni Nica. Pinipilit niya kasing may future kaming dalawa.