𝒄𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒐.

𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑎 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑧

𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑎 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑧

               MAMA VISITED ABUELA'S because she made a promise to me that she'll be there when i get ready for my first dance, dances were such a big deal to her because that was where she met my dad. my dad left after he found out mama was having twins, mario and ana. when he left mama knew she couldn't provide for the kids alone, so she had to do it with the help of abuela.

        my dad was white but that didn't stop her from loving him, they met in high school, he was a ruthless greaser who hated everyone but mama. she remembered the way he treated her in a room full of people, love and affection while people stared at them.

        "his stare always sent love to my eyes, it was real at first." mama once said.

        "would you have left him if he didn't show you love in that kind of way?" little me asks.

        "probably not, i loved your father too much until now." she sighed before staying silent.

        we had that conversation when i was 8, mama was close to the end of her pregnancy. she knew to treat me like i was mature unlike the parents who tell their kids nothing and to just keep playing, she wanted me to know more about love so in the future i wouldn't end up like her.

mama came in with my dress, the oyster colored fabric moved side to side when it was held by the clumsy hands of mama.

"ai, mama!" i shrieked before gently grabbing my dress from her hands.

"sorry mija, i'm just so excited." mama smiled, "you got a date?"

"yes actually, the boy down the hall, david." i replied.

        "now, are you both aware that you two are going together?" mama asks.

        "of course, i said yes when i was picking up ana and mario." i rolled my eyes.

        "alright, just making sure." she put her hands up and left.

        i sighed before stripping myself in the mirror, putting on the dress with an excited grin. ana told me to tell her everything that happened at the dance when i came home, either tonight or tomorrow morning when she isn't asleep. if i got my first kiss, ana would be the first to know but the only know person who has the story told as if it was in some kind of cinderella movie.

ana loves fantasies and i want her to look out for more in life in the future, try to romanticize it as it is. ana has told me about this boy in her class who she found cute, i found it adorable how she's developing a 3rd grade for a boy she knows she'll get over.

"marlena, are you done? i want to see your dress!" ana knocks from the other side of the door, her pleads were muffled.

"i'm done, i'm done!" i huffed when coming out of my bedroom.

there was terrible coughing coming from the kitchen, only abuela was in the kitchen.

"abuelita, everything alright?" i asked, pacing towards the kitchen.

"i'm okay, mar." she smiled, except it only defined the word fake.

abuela had a few tests ran for pneumonia not even a year ago, she said she was waitlisted every time she asked for the results. i knew that was pure bullshit but i couldn't scare mario and ana with the knowledge of me knowing what was going on, so i had to lie to everyone and pretend like i didn't know even though i did. not even abuela knows i know.

her results were sitting on her dresser when i came in to put away her laundry, my heart dropped when my eyes wandered over the nice printed letters on the white sheet. every night i was haunted by the words POSITIVE written in bold letters, it was like i witnessed my abuela getting beaten to a bloody pulp except this one hurt more.

"abuelita, can i talk-"

"wow, it's so gorgeous!" ana interrupted me, "mama, get the camera!"

"i'm coming, i'm on my way!" mama giggles while pointing the camera at me, "big smile, mi hija hermosa!"

"mama, david could be here any minute." i muttered.

"wait, one more for me please." she begs even though she was already sending multiple camera flashes to my eyes.

        there was a faint knock at the door, i took the chance to run away from the camera to open it. there was david, standing in front of me with a rose in his hand. my smile grew when we met eyes.

        "david, hi." i grinned.

        "marlena, you look beautiful." he complimented.

        abuelita gave him a death stare from the kitchen.

        "i have to grab my purse, don't go anywhere." i told him.

        i made a run to my room to find my purse that had my lip gloss, money, and everything in it. running back was a pain in the ass especially when i was wearing heels with my outfit. david grew up frightened by abuela after a day of her babysitting him, he didn't come back because his mother knew he'd grow nightmares if he did.

        i hugged mario and ana goodbye, along with abuela and mama.

        "alright, i'll see you guys in the morning!" i said before walking out the door with david.