"Leave him alone," I said sternly. "He's with me."

The men turned quickly, staring me down instead now. One of them clicked his tongue to the roof of his mouth as he considered the best course of action. I could see them playing out scenarios in their head. There was only one of me, but I hoped my standing in the community was well-known and that they backed off simply based on that. Recognition eventually flashed across the shorter man's face, and he leaned over to the other man. Hushed words were exchanged. He tugged on the taller man's jacket in an attempt to remove themselves from the situation they had caused in the first place.

"Come on," he said simply.

"Fine," the other said gruffly. "If he's left alone again though... We'll be here, understood? Take better care of your things."

"I'll let him do whatever he pleases," I replied angrily.

As the men left, I looked over at the young man. His eyes were still wide, but at least he appeared less frightened. More relaxed perhaps. His hands were clutching his notepad still, and I wondered why he might need such a thing. I raised my hands as he had earlier, taking steps forward slowly. Maybe if I could show I meant no harm, I could sit and talk with him for a little. If he's interested in this community, he may need a helping hand.

"I genuinely mean you no harm, I just want to..." I stopped for a moment, thinking of the right word. "Talk?" Not the right word, clearly, but, I guess it was good enough.

His body relaxed once more as his shoulders dropped down but hunch over, balling himself up a little more. His eyes looked me over. Trailing down my body and taking me in. I hoped that he wouldn't think me scary, or maybe too much stronger and bigger than him. I wasn't here to scare him off after all, but I didn't know what else to do to prove to him that I meant what I said. As I watch him eye me, I imagine what I must look like to him. My black hair was fluffy and brushed back, though it looked like I'd just stepped out of bed since I was in a bit of a hurry to get here in the end. My blue eyes focused on his brown ones. I was wearing a pair of black dress trousers with a white button-up shirt and a deep blue jacket over the top. I wondered what he was thinking, what he might see in me. Did I seem scary? Maybe kind? Did he want me to leave?

I didn't want to leave until I could make sure he was safe, and he had someone who could take him home or away. I sat at the opposite end of the bench, giving him enough space to work with if he did decide to leave. I stayed silent for a bit, looking at him again. He was shy and worried. His shoulders were still hunched over, though thankfully not in fear. The grip on his notebook hadn't changed despite his posture mostly relaxing. His eyes were rather focused on mine now as if trying to decide something. He swallowed then started writing again. When he finished, he held it out hesitantly.

Hi. I'm Aidan. I'm sorry you had to help me there...

"I'm sorry?" I repeated with a smile. "I think the words you want are thank you."

You didn't have to...

"No is a full sentence," I pointed to where he had written 'not interested'. "A 'no' in any form must be respected. Unless circumstances require a safe word instead."

His cheeks flushed. I could see the pink marks over his face, reaching up to the tips of his ears. He looked down at his notepad, fiddling around with it. I admit to myself that his shyness is appealing in some way. That he was quite adorable and the things I would do to him made me smirk, given I had permission. My tongue slides over my bottom lip as I imagined what would happen, allowing myself a moment of being lost in my thoughts. He shifts in his seat, writing again. I stop myself from my imagination before I make either one of us uncomfortable, and clear my throat.